Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a fake find today! I was looking for sharks teeth and found a few relatively nice ones. As I was leaving the place I spot a really big tooth! It was a little different than the others, as soon as I got it back to the vehicle a few minutes later, I realized it was made of plastic!

Please don't litter sites with junk.

Upvote 14
kind of like the fake money folded up and left for someone to find.

That's a highly sought after Plastodon tooth...hope ya kept it...:laughing7:

Smallfoot, alas, and forsooth, whatever, it is gone! I don't keep pulltabs either!

No the place was full of overnight guests, I saw very fresh footprints in the sand. The place is known for big teeth. I was just the first one to spot it. Had me going for a few minutes.

I guess it was two summers ago I was at another beach, dug what I thought was one of those Chucky Cheese golden tokens, as I never take my glasses with me when I'm out, and asked my digging buddy was this a Chucky Cheese token? as it had an eagle on the back. He freaked - $5 US gold coin lost apparently out of someone's necklace. It's hiding in the house here somewhere.

And then last year I find a brass disc at a CW site, have my buddy come over and it's a flattened Confederate I button.

Sometimes I don't get an ID till I get the glasses out! Or get home to retrieve the magnifier!

And a few years ago I got a HUGE silver dollar shaped item, a Netherlands daadler coin, 1620 something, I still have it - trouble is, it's made of junk metal and was a Shell oil promotion in the 1970's. Someone left it on the beach for us low life detectorists to find.

When I found my gold guinea at the beach, a year or more before that, and having heard the reputation of the place, that folks throw fakes out there, I looked all over it for the word "copy", and it was and is genuine! Only me.

Last edited:
No the place was full of overnight guests, I saw very fresh footprints in the sand. The place is known for big teeth. I was just the first one to spot it. Had me going for a few minutes.

I guess it was two summers ago I was at another beach, dug what I thought was one of those Chucky Cheese golden tokens, as I never take my glasses with me when I'm out, and asked my digging buddy was this a Chucky Cheese token? as it had an eagle on the back. He freaked - $5 US gold coin lost apparently out of someone's necklace. It's hiding in the house here somewhere.

And then last year I find a brass disc at a CW site, have my buddy come over and it's a flattened Confederate I button.

Sometimes I don't get an ID till I get the glasses out! Or get home to retrieve the magnifier!

And a few years ago I got a HUGE silver dollar shaped item, a Netherlands daadler coin, 1620 something, I still have it - trouble is, it's made of junk metal and was a Shell oil promotion in the 1970's. Someone left it on the beach for us low life detectorists to find.

When I found my gold guinea at the beach, a year or more before that, and having heard the reputation of the place, that folks throw fakes out there, I looked all over it for the word "copy", and it was and is genuine! Only me.

It was not too uncommon for some beach go-ers to toss some coins in your path if they saw you coming. I guess they think it is funny but it is easy pickings for me.

Here's some more fake Megalodon teeth - from the Soapozoic Era:

IMG_1360.jpg IMG_1361.jpg

Last year I dug a Play Money coin from the early 1900s that was a VERY close copy of a $1 gold coin! My heart was racing for about 70 seconds!

Maybe it was put there in an attempt to get a child interested in the hobby?

at around age five my dad showed me a Treasure map , this map led to a spot in our back yard .

we both took turns digging for the pirates treasure and struck it rich at around 6''
dug lots of my grannies costume jewelry and a few coins but to me it was treasure .

55 years later I'm still hooked on treasure and will be for life.

I think everyone needs to chip in and get smoky some dollar store (2x) glasses.

I do love the moments of thinking its real..

OBN, those are the ones I have. When I take them out in the field I tend to lose them.

This year Iโ€™ve found chicken feed money (looked like a trime) 2 giant fake cobbs and a fake 8 reales. The thing that gets me all the time is the reverse of those frikinโ€™ state clad quarters. I also dug a 2001 dollar coin that must have been in the ground a long time because without my glasses it looked just like a largie.

As the new generation of Nfl folks say, " You got Punked."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back