I grew up in Pekin Il, got a few leads up there still if anyone is interested

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Get down there for a family event every year or so at the pavillion at Mineral Springs Park, one of the finer parks I've hunted and had some real nice finds at. Won't get down there until July this year but lemme know if I've missed anything in the past!

Happened to be down there for a weekender a few years back and my Uncle and I went and hit the waterfront where they were excavating and reworking it. What a great bunch of everything from coins and relics of the last 200 or so years of goodies there.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent many days prowling that waterfront. My great grandparents lived right at the end of court street on the river. We had such a huge collection of bottles at my grandfathers house, I really wonder if it's all still there. Just across the river next to where the old bridge was, used to be a house. There's a boat launch next to the site now, but it would be a good place to check out. Also I don't know if you're into dump digging or not, but near there where the old rail line crossed the access road there used to be the city dump. Pm me when you might be headed that way and I'll point you to a couple 1800's country churches......

metman

Jul 28, 2010
Metamora, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey NOLA_Ken, I'm from Metamora. I have hunted once at Mineral Springs in Pekin but didn't find much. If you are still offering to pass along some sites I would be interested. My son and I usually go out together and he just said something about going over to Pekin. He was not with me on my first trip . . . Thanks!

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Mineral Springs goes, it's been pounded pretty hard over the years, you might have some luck near the new pool where they dumped the silt from the lagoon years ago. Having said that, if you go out toward Tremont, there is a little white Mennonnite church past the wal mart on Court st. I always wanted to get back out there with a better machine. Also, and this one looks like it may be gone according to google earth, at rt 29 and edgewater dr there used to be a swimming spot called twin lakes. It's closed now, but might be a good place to check out. Also, if you take 29 (2cd st) south of town, to Fleischmann st, and cross the tracks toward the river, you'll see a lake with a sandy beach. A lot of us swam there as kids, and I imagine people still do.

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Ken,

Hey there my father (metman) and I appreciate the info! I am just getting ready to sell a few things around here to 'hopefully' save up enough to grab an e-trac. If we head out to any of these locations I will grab my digi-cam and take some video for ya of some digs! I have been looking at a bunch of old maps 'around' the pekin area. Found a few locations so far that I have google mapped and saved (couple schools that are now church property and such). We hope to get out much more this year than last! Feel free to pm or email me any time. And I will let you know if we head out to hunt any of these places! Thanks again buddy!

Neil

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy hunting up there, I'd love to hear if you find anything good at those spots. I was talking to my mom on the phone about the area, and sadly it seems many of the old farm houses I was thinking of are gone now and paved over. Another place came to mind though, which is Mc Naughton park. there are horse trails, and also a couple large fields there where we used to have Boy Scout camps. I never hunted there, but it might be a good place to research a bit.

Ken

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Like I said I have been looking at a bunch of old maps.. sadly everything is turning into one big parking lot.. I will look into the horse trails and see what comes up! Thanks again for all the info!

neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread