I had no idea...

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
In 1987, when I was in high school, while delivering my newspapers I stopped at the local bank to get a roll of quarters. This was a very old bank in a small town, and didn't get much business. It had the great old high ceilings and marble counters, and always smelled like stone, old wood, and paper. It was replaced by an ATM.
I had gone to this little coin store in the mall recently, and liked how the coins were all in their little cards, some worn some new, all different pictures. I love the sound of half dollars when they clink together, plus they were getting hard to find, so while I was at the bank I bought two $10 rolls. The next day I bought 2 more. I sorted them by date, rerolled them, and put them in a box.
Yesterday, I pulled that box out to get a sleeve for the 1896 v-nickel I found with my detector.
I remembered those half dollars, and looked through them for the first time in nearly 20 years.
I'm glad I didn't take this box with me to college, because I would have definitely spent them when I lost my job at the end of the school year.

Attachments

• bicenthalf.jpg
    bicenthalf.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 243
  • silverhalf.jpg
    silverhalf.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR, you're probably one of many who've tucked away half dollars, or any random coins, and haven't looked at them for years, if not decades. You're different because you knew to hang onto them instead of spending them.

I'll bet people who bring rolled obsolete coins to the bank believe they're putting one over on the bank., thinking old coins aren't legal anymore.

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I haven't even STARTED to check my "weirdo" collection. I worked at Walt Disney World in 1993-94, and got a TON of foriegn coins. WDW would roll their own coins and reissue them to the cashiers, and they never sorted them. I pulled all the foreigns out of my rolls. Found a 1991 British Pound in a roll of nickels. I even got a washer in a roll of dimes! Was 10 cents short that day- not paying for a bloody washer!
Didn't want to send it back in, either, because it would wind up in someone else's roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread