I HATE RACCOONS !!!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
The little suckers got me again! I have an old wringer washing tub that I repurposed as a container garden. I had beautiful scallions about ready to harvest, a young parsley plant and some dill and borage seed that sprouted. They wrecked the container going for dill &/or borage. I’m thinking of a term of endearment with the initials SOBs. Any guesses?!🦝💣🧨🏹🔪🗡

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little suckers got me again! I have an old wringer washing tub that I repurposed as a container garden. I had beautiful scallions about ready to harvest, a young parsley plant and some dill and borage seed that sprouted. They wrecked the container going for dill &/or borage. I’m thinking of a term of endearment with the initials SOBs. Any guesses?!🦝💣🧨🏹🔪🗡
Depends if you have cats around also

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday set 2 traps ONE coon this morning used MarshMello's yesterday, Have been using horse feed

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That happened here a few years ago. Two dogs killed 4 of my chickens. It just happened the local dog warden lived 2 doors from where the dogs lived and he saw them coming in my direction. After talking to the warden, he informed me these same two dogs had killed chickens at four other residences. The dogs owner paid a hefty fine and at the same time he paid me extra to buy more peeps.
Had a cat once and I just had got out of the hospital after a 30 day stay.
Looked out the window and saw the neighbour's dog kill my cat.
I was in no shape to go after the dog-so I called the neighbour and stated what happened.
5 minutes later I heard a shot gun blast-phone rang and Ralph said: Sorry about the cat Jim.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday set 2 traps ONE coon this morning used MarshMello's yesterday, Have been using horse feed
dogs-excited-slow-clap-w5s0kwb0ty57sdi4.gif

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have a couple of dozen chickens-half are collecting food stamps now it seems. just living the dream.
We have a side door hatch that goes out into the coop area, 8 ft of wired fence. The fact door is secured out and in. The main dutch barn doors have a hasp and a lock, a toggle that secures the top 7.5ft up. Plus I pin a heavy stick pinning the doors tight, this is done nightly.
Have Mink, Weasels, Coons, Fishers, Eagles, Hawks, Foxes, Coyotes, and the occasional dog-ALL of them looking to get a free meal.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well sir, they never said learning to farm would be easy. I think I’ll invest in some of those netting covers next year.
Oh, you've got that. Someday I hope to beat the birds and slugs to the blueberry, current and elderberry fruit bushes I planted and cover diligently in the spring when there is a frost danger. This year the dry conditions favored aphids like I've never seen before. My current bushes were more aphid than leaf by weight. Poofed them with diatomacious earth (works great in dry conditions and as a harmless to pets anti-carpenter ant minefield in our log home - another everlasting battle against nature) and I may have gained back some ground. But we've been eight days of 80 degree heat and no rain and none in the 10 day forecast. Not good for little transplanted seedlings. We're hauling water up from a wonderfully obliging neighbor's pond to water the gardens. My rain catchment barrels (110 gallons) gave out last week.

Always something. Droughts, late frosts, hailstorms, cutworms, slugs, neighbors cows getting loose and trampling everything, crows, hawks, falcons, voles, raccoons, weasels, minks, martins, and a black BEAR wiped out birdfeeders ON OUR PORCH! Bent a 1/2" cross-section iron seed/suet hanger flat to the ground.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Night set a total of three traps results 1 raccoon, 1 Opossum and one un sprung trap

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO sorry Charlie !1

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well last night I had 3 traps set. This morning one of the traps was empty. The other two each had a Raccoon in them !!1

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My total for 5 days is six raccoon and one ‘possum out of 2 traps set off the back porch in the garden. Bait used was cooked steak fat and handful of stale popcorn, 1/4 full in a plastic sandwich baggie. Noticing much less activity now.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My total for 5 days is six raccoon and one ‘possum out of 2 traps set off the back porch in the garden. Bait used was cooked steak fat and handful of stale popcorn, 1/4 full in a plastic sandwich baggie. Noticing much less activity now.
I’ve heard canned cat food is really good bait, as well as sardines.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I also have a Barn cat there that would probably go for the steak fat. It does not go for the horse feed.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TWO more last night I think i am up to 11. I have a coon hunter coming and getting some so it is hard to keep tract. I think 11 coons and 1 Opossum

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve heard canned cat food is really good bait, as well as sardines.
I haver used sardine successfully. Good idea about the canned cat food. Peanut butter is also a successful choice.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gare, sucks that you have to do this at this time of year. No doubt some of the coons you are catching are nursing mothers, meaning that somewhere in your area there are baby coons starving to death in a den. Breaks my heart, but I do understand your situation.

FWIW, Next time you cook eggs, save the shells and tape 'em back together. Make a little grass nest, drop the egg shell in the middle. Coons can't resist it.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning NOTHING in all THREE traps 1!! YEA 1!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread