I have a question about the max and nickle vdi

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a 1943 nickle. I have read that they were made from silver and copper with some manganese. What would that ring up on the max. Wouldn't it have a higher vdi than a regular nickle? This one rings in on the max at 52- 53. Any ideas? 20190711_163036.jpg 20190711_163018.jpg .

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeekerProB,
I also Have the AT Max & AT Pro. The nickle signal is about the same on both machines. VDI-52/53. Sometimes if your ground balance is off a little bit they can run as low as VDI-51.
It is also the range of a lot of gold rings I have found. If it's a steady VDI number dig it.
Have a great day.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my CTX and ATP...they always read the same for me...12-13 & 51-52 There are alot of factors thou, but they dont really read up higher like I would have imagined either.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found Wartime nickels with my AT Pro and also with my White's detectors and they ring up at the same numbers as regular nickels...…...52-53 on the Pro and 18-20 on the White's. One reason is that the silver in wartime nickels is only 35% unlike other silver coins that are 90% silver. Also it's possible the Manganese brings the signal strength lower.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors do NOT have any idea of what type of metal is down there. They only measure the electrical conductivity of the earth and look for anomalies which are caused by metallic items in the dirt. They do not really see any kind of metal, only a change in conductivity. If a regular nickle has the same conductivity as a war nickle it will read the same since the machine is not measuring any kind of silver or nickel content, only how well it conducts electricity. This is also why no detector can tell a gold ring from an aluminum pull tab, they conduct electricity in similar fashion.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, on my Deus it rings in the mid 50's also.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
With thousands of hours in on the AT series I can tell you that looking at the VDI for a nickel will trick you into passing up a good target. I have found many many nickels that didn't go any higher than 40 on the VDI. The longer they have been in the dirt and type of dirt, corrosion, etc. will have a big impact on the VDI.

dute

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm IV with 9 inch spider coil
Contemplating getting an AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve always found nickels when the VDI came in as a solid 52, Sometimes 53. I have not noticed a difference in the VDI values between buffalo and war nickels. I don’t chase a 52 unless it’s solid, simply because I don’t want to pull a lot of pop tabs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread