DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's grandfather passed away pretty unexpectedly in 1988 and most all of his things were pilfered by relatives. I was looking in the back yard where he had a storage shed that has since been torn down. I hoped I would find something to give my wife that he owned because she don't have anything of his. She was very close to her papaw. I was right in front of where the shed was and got a very loud 50 cent signal and dug up an old pad lock and she said that was the one he locked the door with. It was in pretty rough shape but I cleaned it up as good as I could. I left it in oil for days to see if that would help it. The other day I remembered going into the basement at her ma-maws house from the outside and had to dig through about 50 keys to find the right one to open the lock. I thought it would be a miracle if the key to the old lock was still on that key ring. Yesterday we went over to her house and I took the lock with me. I gave it to my wife and the second key she tried opened it right up. WOW, that key was still on that key ring since 1988. She was very happy that I found that old lock. It still works very good but it is a little stiff. I just wanted to share my little treasure find with everybody. Have a good one, DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 720
Upvote 0

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Very nice find.....The ones that are sentimental are the best stories. :)

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
My Father in Law passed away 14 months ago, and my wife is going through the same thing. The so called executor of the estate, her brother, and his son are pillaging everything and will not close the estate out. That being said, the most valuable treasures your wife and her grandfather had are the love they had for each other and her memories of him. No one can ever take that away.

Mike

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that very wise and heart felt comment. I hope you have a great day. DANGLANGLEY

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding the lock! It's good that you found something sentimental for your wife that she can always treasure.

Huntin' 59er

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you made your wifes day with that find. It looks like you did a great clean-up job too. Way to go & thanks for that post.
-MM-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing a nice story! HH, Mike

T

TreasureTales

Wow, that story got to this old boy. Finding a piece of a relative's past to connect to the present is awesome. Hope you and your wife will use that lock and key to secure your own happiness throughout your lifetimes.

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision
like trash digger said - they can't take the "real" treasure away from her. i know it's just an old lock,but i'll bet the connection she feels with her dad through it she wouldn't trade for a diamond ring.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
That is love at its very best, for you to take the time and effort to find something, anything that would bring her that sense of comfort and closeness to her papaw. She must be a good woman to have a husband like you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread