I have found a cannonball and can not ID the type or date it

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
I have found a cannonball and can not ID the type or date it was made.

I dug a cannonball here in South Texas last month. It looks more like a pineapple than cannonball.

I am sure it is an early form of a fragment bomb as it has serration?s all along the outside. It is about 5 inches wide, 8 lbs., has a brass cap with a copper center. I was talking to a collector who is in the business and he also has not seen anything like it. The 2? wide cap has been screwed on as it has scaring from a tool on its out side edge.

We believe it is from the French (Maxamillion) 1850-1860?s.

I also believe piece is still armed. I have it re burred on my own property, as I do not want to take any chances. I also need to know how to disarm a cannonball. I understand that there are a few who disarm as a hobby.

I am sure the local law enforcement or the government would do it their way. But I am not up for all that.

Here is the question Is there a sight or a cannonball expert out there that I could get in touch with to get an ID on it.

Have fun digging.

SW

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
I'll give it a shot.

Hello, I will atempt to ID it, but I will need a couple pictures. One picture with a ruler next to it's side and one with the ruler on it's top. Also need markings. Drop me a line here or email.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Do be careful some of those were filled with gunpowder. I know I had a freind that found one luckley it didnt explode lol

C

cachenut

Sounds too big to be a c.w. hand grenade. They were thrown over high walls and had a impact fuse with cardboard or wood fins on the other end. They also would roll down a slanted roof and then off the edge and detonate when they hit bottom. Sort of a 6 inch oval shape, not round.

You could try relicman here in Virginia. He is very knowledgeable. www.relicman.com

www.re.icman.com

There are many websites with cannonball pictures and designs. google it.

They are not very dangerous unless they dry out and you hit them with fire or hard knocks. Many people preserve them and make them inert for you. Some detector shops do this for about $20.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread