What's new

I have found too many not to ask...

IowaRelic

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
360
Reaction score
584
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lately these are in the cards for me at older sites... what. Are. They. Like 5 in 2 days now!
15EB25BB-2482-4DD4-AE0B-BACF91DF396E.webp7A66C87E-83AD-462D-89AC-701D3E5FA726.webp
 
They kind of look like bath tub drain plug chains, and the part that attaches to the plug.
 
Upvote 0
The closest match-up I know of are the parts of a well-pump chain, as shown in the photos and diagram below.
 

Attachments

  • well-pump-chain-plug_with-chain_TN.webp
    well-pump-chain-plug_with-chain_TN.webp
    129.8 KB · Views: 94
  • well-pump_chain-plug_TN.webp
    well-pump_chain-plug_TN.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 93
  • well-pump-chain-plug_diagram_TN.webp
    well-pump-chain-plug_diagram_TN.webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
Ding Ding Ding Winner!
 
Upvote 0
I don't see a center groove for a leather or rubber washer on the pieces you posted, so they might be "trip bells" off of a check row corn planter chain.

It also depends on what size they are. Lift links from a chain pump were typically 1 5/8 inches in diameter, while trip bells were much smaller.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Trip balls ? ? ?

Bah ! the 60's are over :P
 
Upvote 0
Plant hanger chain
 
Upvote 0
Old lantern chain?!
 
Upvote 0
I believe I may have each a well chain and the corn planter pieces. I especially believe the corn planter parts given we produce more than anybody lol
 
Upvote 0
I believe those are mostly from a pump chain.
some of the smaller single ones could be from a corn planter check wire.
 
Upvote 0
As I mentioned earlier, a lot depends on what size they are. Lift links from a chain pump were typically 1 5/8 inches in diameter, while trip bells were much smaller.
 
Upvote 0
Yes I have 3 approx 1 5/8” in diameter and 2 much smaller about 1”. The chain appears to be hand twisted links of similar size and design on each set. Thanks guys. My curiosity is cured.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom