I have one of "those guys" in my area!!!!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had something similar happen recently. There was a 1800s mansion about 2 mins from my house. Ive been watching it for years and the homeowners didn't want people on the property. About a year ago it went into foreclose and the owners moved out. I weighed my options and decided to attempted the legal process first. Since it was now owned by the bank I knew it was almost impossible to talk to someone. So I kept an eye out for the grounds keeper that the bank hired. One day I saw the crew and approached them explaining my intentions to detect. At first he said No then went into id have to contact the bank. I said do you have the number. He called his contact at the bank and after a confusing conversation about me looking for historical relics in the ground I received a YES. I was soo surprised. The property was to be demolished and they could care less. I signed a liability waver that I carry with me and was good to go. Now to the part that pissed me off. After doing the right thing and obtaining permission, some dip **** beat me to it by sneaking onto the property. Of course he didn't get everything but the high tones were cherry picked. I can see it from both point of views but I feel more comfortable k View attachment 1509381 View attachment 1509382 nowing I'm in the right.

This house is gone now. I'm sure it will be sub-divided into townhomes like across the street. Such a shame.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... He called his contact at the bank and after a confusing conversation about me looking for historical relics in the ground I received a YES. I was soo surprised. .....

This, as you surmise is rare. You got lucky.

PS: I love the pix of that house :)

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This, as you surmise is rare. You got lucky.

PS: I love the pix of that house :)

Yes I agree. This doesn't happen often. The house was a beauty. In its prime it was worth 1.1 mil. The prior homeowner is a member of the historical society.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who has and leases over 4000 acres of posted land with old home sites. I kinda like catching the thiefs that sneak in and hunt and metal detect .These is plenty of Gov land they can sneak around on if that is how they roll. I have hunted along the freeways on old civil war roads who owns that? Maybe I am guilty as them but it does not seem to be posted.
I think it is obvious when you trespass especially if you do not know where you are.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't do anyone any good to start playing tattle-tale because someone is digging on land that isn't yours. Only the land owner can file such a complaint. Calling everyone and reporting him only further damages the reputation of all diggers in the area. Just get over it and move on.

It damages all our reps when hunters trespass on someone's property to begin with. Trespassing is trespassing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It damages all our reps when hunters trespass on someone's property to begin with. Trespassing is trespassing.

I have not suggested that anyone should trespass, so I'd appreciate it if you would not twist my words, thank you very much!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have not suggested that anyone should trespass, so I'd appreciate it if you would not twist my words, thank you very much!

Ice-wing, I know what you are saying. But I also know what TH'r was envisioning and saying.

What you were saying is a case when there's no one there to see or care, etc... (ie.: something abandoned, or middle of nowhere, etc...) . While yes, technically wrong (whether bank owned, or owner hasn't been there in 10 yrs. etc...). Yet, truth-be-told, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to "care". But then a fellow md'r went out of his way to call it in. Then yes, that does the hobby no good. You weren't saying it made trespassing right. But just that it just MAKES SURE that every-one-and-their brother knows that "an md'r trespassed". Versus someone who otherwise is never seen.

Whereas TH'r was envisioning that ... either way (whether reported or not) that the md'r was, of necessity, seen and reviled. Well, sure, then in that case , it doesn't matter WHO caught him or turned him in. Either way, it was a black eye for the hobby.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice-wing, I know what you are saying. But I also know what TH'r was envisioning and saying.

What you were saying is a case when there's no one there to see or care, etc... (ie.: something abandoned, or middle of nowhere, etc...) . While yes, technically wrong (whether bank owned, or owner hasn't been there in 10 yrs. etc...). Yet, truth-be-told, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to "care". But then a fellow md'r went out of his way to call it in. Then yes, that does the hobby no good. You weren't saying it made trespassing right. But just that it just MAKES SURE that every-one-and-their brother knows that "an md'r trespassed". Versus someone who otherwise is never seen.

Whereas TH'r was envisioning that ... either way (whether reported or not) that the md'r was, of necessity, seen and reviled. Well, sure, then in that case , it doesn't matter WHO caught him or turned him in. Either way, it was a black eye for the hobby.

I know exactly what TH was saying but to quote and attack my post was just flat out wrong!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what TH was saying but to quote and attack my post was just flat out wrong!

Sorry but you are as your say just flat out wrong. Anyone can report trespassers. I have had neighbors call me and say there was a truck parked in my back field. I say call the police. Police come and call me and we sort it out. Depends upon if I want to prosecute in court. I have said write them a warning. If it is a repeat person I usually know who it is and then ask for the police to get a contact number and I call them it usually stops it.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but you are as your say just flat out wrong. Anyone can report trespassers. I have had neighbors call me and say there was a truck parked in my back field. I say call the police. Police come and call me and we sort it out. Depends upon if I want to prosecute in court. I have said write them a warning. If it is a repeat person I usually know who it is and then ask for the police to get a contact number and I call them it usually stops it.

That's exactly what I was saying, it came down to whether or not you the land owner wanted to file a complaint (ie press charges), not the person who initially called.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not twist your words nor did I attack your post.

I quoted your entire post then stated trespassing gives our hobby and all of us a bad name. You stated calling someone because they see property be trespassed on gives us a bad name, I mearly emphasized trespassing gives all of us a bad name period.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... I mearly emphasized trespassing gives all of us a bad name period....

Both of you is right IN THE CONTEXT OF WHICH YOU SPEAK. And TH'r: I highly respect your position , your tough job to do, etc.... Trespassing is never right (technically speaking). But so too is the "bad for our hobby" going to be ONLY WORSE the more of it that is brought "front and center".

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of these replies strike a chord with me.
domestic issues in 2015 induced me to leave my home for a couple months, so I boarded up the windows and secured entry to garage and outbuildings. (It's a rural agricultural area).
Didn't know this was a sign for "scrappers " to investigate.
on my next visit to the property, am dismayed to see SO MUCH stuff missing, my dredge and tray, close to a half ton of brass n copper scrap(I'd rather stockpile than sell at recent years low prices), statuary, gallon buckets of pre82 copper cents, generators, pressure washers, vintage outboards, large cultivators, snow blowers, ladders,and many things I don't even recall were there.
To this day, I'll want or need something I know I have, only to discover that I actually DONT have it anymore.
Apparently, these people didn't think about how reasonable surveillance equipment has become, When I reviewed the footage I had facial closeups, vehicles ab
nd plates, (stills an vid) and most astonishingly, a man I know, he was walking around my yard dragging a trash barrel, as he examined items, muttering and tossing aside ones he didn't want, and lobbing those he liked into his barrel.
I was surprised when he pulled in my drive the following day and acted as if all was well.
needless to say he made a hurried departure and ignored my offer of ending this if my property began showing up at the end of my driveway.
His loss. He ended up implicating everyone, and all pled guilty.
restitition was a small percentage of loss, but better than nothing.
I do not like reporting anything to LE, but seeing my generous offer of "start returning and this is as far as it goes"
refused, yeh I cooperated with the local PD and prosecutor.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't see anyone detecting there:laughing7:
it was the reply mentioning window boarding as a sign of bank owned property that spurred the longwinded reply.
Sometimes it's not, and it's lucky for everyone involved that I never showed up while it was occurring.
something to think about for those who trespass.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... it was the reply mentioning window boarding as a sign of bank owned property that spurred the longwinded reply....

Steelheadwill, sorry about the theft of your property.

I don't know about others here, but .... for some reason, I see something different about THAT crime, and the "crime" of metal detecting.

Yes perhaps not any legal difference, in the eyes of the law. A "quarter on farmer Bob's nightstand" in his house, VS a "quarter in farmer bob's plowed field or vacant yard. Not saying it makes it right, when someone knew of an object, vs an object which no one ever knew was there. But just saying that the two scenarios feel different.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steelheadwill, sorry about the theft of your property.

I don't know about others here, but .... for some reason, I see something different about THAT crime, and the "crime" of metal detecting.

Yes perhaps not any legal difference, in the eyes of the law. A "quarter on farmer Bob's nightstand" in his house, VS a "quarter in farmer bob's plowed field or vacant yard. Not saying it makes it right, when someone knew of an object, vs an object which no one ever knew was there. But just saying that the two scenarios feel different.

"Not saying it makes it right" BINGO! Because it's not Tom, the quarter still belongs to Bob even though he doesn't know he owns it. Just because I'm not aware of something being on my property does it make it fair game for someone else to come onto it and take it? No. It crosses the line of simple detecting ethics or better yet a simple explanation from the TREASURENET BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO METAL DETECTING

"Q: Where should I dig?
A: There are many places to dig! The most important thing is to make sure you are allowed to dig there! Do your research. Look at old maps. Find where people used to gather, then get permission to dig there! Parks are a good place to start, though they can have a lot of trash targets as well as good stuff. If there is a caretaker, get permission to dig. Private property can also be a good place, but make sure you get permission, in writing, before you start! Federal parks are generally illegal to dig in, so don't try unless you like fines and losing your detector! Cemeteries are also a no no. One of the best places to start is your own yard. This allows you to learn your machine, and most of all, allows you to learn how to dig nice clean plugs. People will appreciate you a lot more if you don't tear up their property when you dig!"

I see some reoccurring word in the paragraph and it's called "permission"

Great advice and it protects our life long passion of digging in the dirt. When one skirts the black and white and floats it into the grey areas, things get cloudy.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who has and leases over 4000 acres of posted land with old home sites. I kinda like catching the thiefs that sneak in and hunt and metal detect .These is plenty of Gov land they can sneak around on if that is how they roll. I have hunted along the freeways on old civil war roads who owns that? Maybe I am guilty as them but it does not seem to be posted.
I think it is obvious when you trespass especially if you do not know where you are.
"POSTED" is the key word, and when I see that, I respect it and move on. "Sneaking around on Government land?" IS that not also Public land in many cases? or at least used to be. There are some here who would tell you that even along freeways and old civil war roads, when you leave the pavement, you are Trespassing, you must first get permission from the county or state, it can get crazy. Again, something like your 4000 Posted acres?, I see it, I move on. Other areas like front & back yards etc., that's just common sense.

Last edited:

Gully

Nov 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
"POSTED" is the key word, and when I see that, I respect it and move on. "Sneaking around on Government land?" IS that not also Public land in many cases? or at least used to be. There are some here who would tell you that even along freeways and old civil war roads, when you leave the pavement, you are Trespassing, you must first get permission from the county or state, it can get crazy. Again, something like your 4000 Posted acres?, I see it, I move on. Other areas like front & back yards etc., that's just common sense.

You think to government really cares about a idiot wondering around the woods with a metal detected? With all that's going on in the world? Just remember what happened to the native Americans when the pilgrims arrived and shortly after. The pilgrims didn't ask for permission did they? BTW posted signs are just a surjection Americas free ain't it?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me preface this response by saying that the story I am retelling here in no way is implicating the OP or anyone else just a cautionary tale ( I related this story in the general discussion forum a couple of years ago in response to a similar thread ) . About 3 years ago in a small Colorado town , I made the mistake of tresspassing onto an old historic hotel property because it looked yummy ,and i could almost hear the Indian Head cent calling to me from under an old pine tree in the yard . It was a very quiet fall afternoon and i went into the property and started hunting under the tree . Almost imediatetly I was confronted by a property manager who got in my face and began to read me the riot act in a very agressive manner including threatening to call the police . After about 30 minutes of the most unpleasant confrontation , he told me to get lost - I did ! This was a humiliating ,embarassing mistake that I made . If he had called the police , i think they could have confiscated my detector if he decided to press charges . I got lucky , and please let my mistake be a lesson to any of you who are taking a long look at an unassuming , quiet , but yummy location for which you have no permission to hunt . Argentium

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread