What's new

I hit the silver mother load!

coinfinder

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I thought I should have something substantial for my first post. I went to the bank yesterday, feeling lucky. I asked for half dollars. One teller looks up and says "I have $250 worth that someone dropped off." Suspecting a dump, I asked if I could see the rolls. The rolls looked old, but I thought, no chance. I opened the end on one and saw a '64 Kennedy.

I immediately checked my wallet and had only $200. So I bought that many, and left the remaining $50 with her. When I opened the roll in the car there was a mix of silver clad, silver Kennedy and Franklins. Needless to say I got another $50 from the ATM and bought the rest.

Here are the results:

40 1969 BU Halves
41 Walking Liberty Halves
65 Franklin Halves
354 1964 Kennedy Halves

The entire $250 dollars was silver! This is the largest amount of silver I have ever found. The BU 69's were a great find. The oldest half was a 1917 WLH. The only group I have sorted so far are the Franklins. Nothing great, but still found three I didn't have in my book. Needless to say I am shocked by this amount of silver.

The best part was the teller was excited to get rid of the coins. I guess you would call that a "win/win"!
 
Upvote 0
HEY !

WELCOME & CONGRATS !

Keep it up your on a Lucky Streak !!!

Jeff
 
2ND that that is a mucho suweet score :thumbsup:
 
coinfinder said:
I thought I should have something substantial for my first post. I went to the bank yesterday, feeling lucky. I asked for half dollars. One teller looks up and says "I have $250 worth that someone dropped off." Suspecting a dump, I asked if I could see the rolls. The rolls looked old, but I thought, no chance. I opened the end on one and saw a '64 Kennedy.

I immediately checked my wallet and had only $200. So I bought that many, and left the remaining $50 with her. When I opened the roll in the car there was a mix of silver clad, silver Kennedy and Franklins. Needless to say I got another $50 from the ATM and bought the rest.

Here are the results:

40 1969 BU Halves
41 Walking Liberty Halves
65 Franklin Halves
354 1964 Kennedy Halves

The entire $250 dollars was silver! This is the largest amount of silver I have ever found. The BU 69's were a great find. The oldest half was a 1917 WLH. The only group I have sorted so far are the Franklins. Nothing great, but still found three I didn't have in my book. Needless to say I am shocked by this amount of silver.

The best part was the teller was excited to get rid of the coins. I guess you would call that a "win/win"!
You might want to hit any nearby banks as well. The guy who left these might have had a larger stash that he spread around. A long shot, but you never know.
 
Man, that is crazy lucky!! Way to go!! Sounds like you got collector coins there, but even at current melt that is two thousand dollars worth of silver for $250!! Nice little investment!
- Grizz
 
excellent score!

HH
-GC
 
Great haul!

I nominated you for the banner, I hope others do the same and that you post pictures so you can make it. ;)

CRH'ers don't get enough banner love!

Grats again, you beat my best single haul x2.

~Dave
 
Excellent timing!
100% on your first try?
Give up while you're ahead!

Congrats!!!
 
TXTim said:
Excellent timing!
100% on your first try?
Give up while you're ahead!

Congrats!!!


By the wording in the post I take it that it's his first time posting, not CRHing.

Jim
 
That's a true load of silver -- doesn't get much better than that.

I'd love to see how that pile looks all stacked up.

No dream rolls for me yet. most is 5 in a roll.
 
What is the banner?

I have pictures, I just need to figure out how to make them smaller so I can post them. Also, my goal was to find $500 dollars (face value) in silver halves from circulation. This find takes me past that mark. I was going to quit hunting after that. But now I wonder how much is out there?
 
Don't worry about making them too small, people post HUGE pictures here. ;) Though if you could make them somewhat manageable that would be nice.

I don't see HOW you can think about quiting this hobby after making two g's in like ten minutes time, but whatever suits you. ;)

To answer you questions, the banner is the row of pictures on the top of this page and every page of the site that showcases the members best finds for all to see. You certainly deserve to be on it with your giant CRH cache.

And your other question about how much is still out there = not much at all until someone dumps their grandads collection of old coins, which is what you happened across. They are continously dumped, but each dump is one less stash out there that can be dumped. There is still silver to be found, just not nearly as much as before. Still enough for great days like yours.

~Dave
 
The following are photos of the "mother load"!!!!
 

Attachments

  • coinsa.webp
    coinsa.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 519
  • coins2009a.webp
    coins2009a.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 516
  • coins2010a.webp
    coins2010a.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 516
Wow, now that is a nice pile of silver. Congrats :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom