What's new

I hope someone can answer this question about the DISC/PinPoint switch knob on the Excal.......

ejudasf

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
52
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandido II
Minelab Excalibur w/11x15 Thunder coil
Tesoro Vaquero BROKEN coil
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Fisher 1280x
Is the switch just a SPDT type, where pin1 & pin2 are closed while pin2 & pin3 are open?

And in what position should the switch be in for a remote switch to be installed and used? Or should it be desoldered but left in place?

Thanks for the help.

ed
 
Yes, its open when your in all metal /PP
Closed is discriminate mode, think I may have a video on that.. let me look.

So as your hunting its in all metal............... if you want to check the target you push the button which closes the gap.




{12810E47-4CB7-4D04-ACF7-0A4D77E7CA39}.webp
 
Thank you OBN.
 
Another question:

Is that pot/switch actually a potentiometer (with a switch)? I see the 3 solder tabs. Unless they are there just for stability when soldered. I also see the bar to limit the rotation.
 
Another question:

Is that pot/switch actually a potentiometer (with a switch)? I see the 3 solder tabs. Unless they are there just for stability when soldered. I also see the bar to limit the rotation.
It is a potentiometer but used as a on/off as far as I know.

I have no clue what the operations of the 3 solder tabs are, you can trace them if you hold the board up to a strong light, I know I have done several traces over the years when the eyelets for the coil to the board have been damaged or the ones for the power.

It would be interesting to see what happened if you desolder one tab at a time. And then power up... Next time I take one apart I may see. I do have a spare board also I may try a trace by sight to see where they go..

One thing about that bar also, early on I messed up a few times and positioned it in the wrong place to where the pot did turn, only to pull the board and correct. Never really turned the machine on for I noticed it when lining up the key way slots on the knob shaft to pot when putting board in..
 
Last edited:
Or you could get a electrical print of your machine and trace it out yourself
Fairly crazy, Minelab still treats a diagram print out of the excalibur or sovereign as top secret stuff after 30 years. I.ve never seen or heard of any.
 
I haven't opened up my machine yet. Still designing the components for 3d printing.

I like the Fisher style of grips used in their water machine pole systems.

My 'theoried' design will incorporate a SPDT switch to work with the existing ON/OFF switch to allow the machine to run normally in either Disc or PP, and the switch will switch to PP or Disc.

Images and instruction should follow as I progress.
 
I haven't opened up my machine yet. Still designing the components for 3d printing.

I like the Fisher style of grips used in their water machine pole systems.

My 'theoried' design will incorporate a SPDT switch to work with the existing ON/OFF switch to allow the machine to run normally in either Disc or PP, and the switch will switch to PP or Disc.

Images and instruction should follow as I progress.
I used a toggle for years (SPST), which allowed the excal to be used in either discriminate or all metal. Which I found I rarely hunt in Disc mode so I went to the momentary push button in 2017 and found I liked it better. Problem I have now is finding a longer lasting (SPST) ON (OFF) push button, luck if I get two years out of them. Just started using this one, see how long it last. Switchcraft Inc. / 913DS

I used a fisher handle for awhile, with a Bulgin momentary switch. Ended up going back to the Bike bar end handles, found it was a lot cheaper since I was selling them and I was mailing out several a week.

SNAG-0001.webp


Some of the switch Ive used over the years.. the cherry is what the place in florida (Kellco) used, tried it never liked it. Good for drysand only I felt. The CW toggle I used for several years then went to the push button..the toggle on the right bottom used on one machine, lasted a few weeks but could not be submerged.. killed it fast. Longest lasting was the CW toggle, lasted 3 to 4 years.. and all of my hunting is in brackish waters, submerged. The black ip67 (some yellow now) is what Ive used the last 8+ years, but trying the Switchcraft 913DS this year.

attachmentGTE5RW8B.webp


{A3B455E5-CC31-4866-99A5-380AAB9898E3}.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom