Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the festival grounds to do some more swingin of the CZ21. I always hope for silver or something old and interesting. I know I will find modern junk and hopefully a nice bit of clad, but you never know until you are done what you will end up with.

In my 5 hour hunt I found 97 coins with a face value of $5.33, a messed up modern button, a mashed quarter (someone used a hammer on it , does that make it hammered? LOL), what I believe is an aluminum fastener from a tent, a Mercury dime, a wheatie and of course tabs, slaw and aluminum bottle caps.

CCC952FD-EE19-4C95-BA42-313715D52557.jpeg B04300EB-1550-4A1A-B4A7-FB7729144B5A.jpeg

The merc is a 1942 and the wheatie is a 1926. I gridded part of the field and was doing a little walk around in areas I have done before looking for new losses hoping for some jewelry. I was surprised to find the merc in that area, but nobody finds it all so it was a good thing I recheck areas periodically. I really love the look of those Mercury dimes. It is a beautiful design.

1A4C34DD-6CA5-4F27-B8BF-F65DADB1EDCE.jpeg

I had a lot of honey do?s and didn?t get a lot of time to swing the CZ yesterday, but I did manage to get a 2.5 hour hunt in. I decided to try the baseball fields adjacent to the festival parking area. There is a decent size area between the 3 fields and the concession stand as well as a small wooded lot with grass. During one major festival each year people put tents on every square inch of the grounds except for the baseball fields that are off limits to everyone but the players and maintenance guys.

I had a good start with the first 3 targets being coins and the fourth was a silver ring. Altogether I found 81 coins with a face value of $5.87, a modern button, a sterling ring, the earpiece from some unknown device, a few tabs, can slaw, some tent pegs from personal tents (ferrous and aluminum pegs) and a 3 foot piece of heavy chain (not pictured).

B257611C-D152-4E6E-81ED-E31CB930203E.jpeg B6158900-D8E1-494A-9D60-6916D3D343EA.jpeg

The ring is a pretty one and was a nice surprise. We always hope for them, but realize that finding one is not always likely. Unfortunately the stone is plastic or glass. It is marked in 2 different locations and has a makers mark I am having trouble getting a clear idea of exactly what it is. It looks a little like a sun burst with something else. If you recognize it please speak up. When I popped the plug the ring was just under the grass and it looks like it was a fairly recent loss.

7C40F46C-7C66-4F19-B073-E685A0408ED9.jpeg 06F249E4-4F5C-407B-B93E-0AD3F116E96C.jpeg AF65ADC1-C5E2-46B7-8062-D3D5EA2228D1.jpeg

Silver 2 hunts in a row is a nice feeling right now. I?ll try to make it 3 in a row next week. The family is coming to town for Father?s Day so my weekend is booked and 3 days next week I have appointments and obligations. With luck I may squeeze in a couple of hunts. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 20

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is quite nice ! Not so fast on the glass or plastic stone set - it may well be a variety of turquoise .
The style of the ring would support that as well. It is either Native American made - or in the style of - the scalloped bezel ,split band , stamped shank , and ornamental bead decoration around the bezel -are all cliche design motiffs in a lot of Navajo rings from the 1940's - 1970's . Quite a nice find !

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is quite nice ! Not so fast on the glass or plastic stone set - it may well be a variety of turquoise .
The style of the ring would support that as well. It is either Native American made - or in the style of - the scalloped bezel ,split band , stamped shank , and ornamental bead decoration around the bezel -are all cliche design motiffs in a lot of Navajo rings from the 1940's - 1970's . Quite a nice find !

I really wish it was turquoise. The ring does look nice and I did think is was legit, but I used my gem tester on it. It should be between 5 and 7 on the hardness scale on the tester and the needle does not move at all which normally indicates it is glass or resin of some kind. If there is a coating of some kind on the stone it might not register. I will check again to be sure, but I think it is a good fake. Thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement. Stay safe and keep swingin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt indeed.
I think the Mercury dimes were one of the most beautiful coin designs made yet.
Liking the ring design and would say NA design also as Argentium stated turquoise comes in a variety of colours from green to the NA blue.
Still it's a great looking sterling ring. Congrats

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt indeed.
I think the Mercury dimes were one of the most beautiful coin designs made yet.
Liking the ring design and would say NA design also as Argentium stated turquoise comes in a variety of colours from green to the NA blue.
Still it's a great looking sterling ring. Congrats

Thanks pepperj. I admit the ring looks good and I was sure hoping that you and Argentium were right. I took a good hard look at the stone under good magnification and it just didn’t look like stone. The gem tester said no so I did one more test to be sure. I took a red hot pin and stuck it into the stone and it did penetrate and leave holes. That would not happen if it was the real deal. The turquoise would be worth more than the silver if it was genuine so someone made a great fake. It’s not my first fake, but I hope it’s my last.

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. Stay safe and keep swingin.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Be sure that 42 Merc isn't the rare 41 over 1 error. grats and thanks for the post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread