I know its a horseshoe PICs added

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
I know it's a horseshoe PICs added

but can anyone identify the period?  I don't have a picture yet, but are there any horseshoe experts out there?  What I mean is, can anyone look at a horseshoe and tell what century/period it was likely from?  Did the 'style' change over the years, or does a shoe from the 1790's look like one from the 1970's........I need to know if the one's I'm digging are CW, or 20th century.  I'm hunting a rural area where some cavalry action took place, but it's also been farmed a bit too.

I have found lots of mule shoes, but the horse shoes (some whole, some broken in half) have me wondering if they were from the battle, or just lost in farming/transportation......

The bottom photo has a half horse shoe on the right, and a half mule shoe on the left. The horse shoe is curved more, and the mule shoe is straighter on the sides. The upper photo shoes a whole horse shoe next to a half mule shoe. Once again, notice how curved the horse shoe is along the sides, and the mule shoe appears almost straight.

Thanks

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 131

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: I know it's a horseshoe

Good call gypsy... see below for oxen shoes, not broken horseshoes.

Attachments

• oxen_shoes1[1].jpg
    oxen_shoes1[1].jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Worn%20Ox%20Shoe[1].jpg
    Worn%20Ox%20Shoe[1].jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0
S

stefen

You can take 100 ferriers and you will find significant differences in their shoe styles (not talking about off-the-shelf-shoes).

Probably the better method is to test the quality of the refined steel to tell the period it was made.

Other than that, I would assume that its probably not possible to tell when a shoe was made.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ramjet2187

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT

Thanks for the replies, everybody........I forgot I posted this, so haven't even posted any pictures. I have to take my monkey back to her Mom's house, but I will (post pictures) when I get back........

Thanks again.

Roger

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread