What's new

I know its pewter, but what is it???

snaps

Sr. Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
460
Reaction score
564
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
I know its pewter, but what is it???

Hello diggers,

got this at a civil war battlefield/camp in Maryland. Its pewter, 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide tapering to 3/8 inch. Looks like the plow twisted off a chunk on one end so its hard to tell its original size/shape.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment, Joey
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0098.webp
    DSCF0098.webp
    155.3 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF0097.webp
    DSCF0097.webp
    76.4 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF0098.webp
    DSCF0098.webp
    155.3 KB · Views: 244
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Looks like a whistle.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Mike,
thanks for reply, yea maybe your right. When I think whistles I think small and iron but hey, they could of been pewter.It would of been a heavy one around your neck that fer sure!!!!
Thanks brother
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Pleased to help :icon_thumleft: There's one way to find out if it is a whistle ;D

and WELCOME to TreasureNet by the way.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Possible a antique duck caller ,some of them where made of pewter back in the 1800's .
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Thanks, this sure is a friendly forum!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Duck caller, thats intresting too.might account for its length. thanks!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

I thought whistle too but the photo wasn't that great. Give us a few more angles in the macro mode and someone will nail it I'll bet. They sometimes used whistles to communicate during the Civil War because handsignals and voice commands were almost impossible because of the smoke and noise. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Could be a signal whistle.
These are all pewter.
 

Attachments

  • CW.webp
    CW.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 306
  • whistle.webp
    whistle.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 505
  • whistle-2.webp
    whistle-2.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0
Re: I know its pewter, but what is it???

Monty, dont know if this old camera has a macro mode. I tried to crop and shrink the photo, but it only works in an e-mail. I dont do much of this obviously. Hey goodguy, thanks for posting those pic, did you dig all those?
seek till you reek, joey
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom