I know what it is, but not what it was used for

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I picked up this old piece of pine sapwood at a sale this past weekend. It has obvious signs of being carved on to shape it in several spots. The guy I got it from says these were used by Native Americans to make a hole in the soil to plant corn and other seeds. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is true. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7631.JPG
    IMG_7631.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7632.JPG
    IMG_7632.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7633.JPG
    IMG_7633.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 61

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plant/tulip bulb or onion planter. I agree with gunsil that are called "dibbles".

Be a big hole for a 1/4" corn kernal. We usually hill ours with five kernals/hill.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Plant/tulip bulb or onion planter. I agree with gunsil that are called "dibbles".

Be a big hole for a 1/4" corn kernal. We usually hill ours with five kernals/hill.

Agreed--too big for a corn kernel, but just right for bulbs, etc. Speaking of just right--true story--the father of one of my classmates once gave his farmhand a drink of his home made whiskey. After a few minutes he asked the farmhand how it was. He exclaimed--"jes right --if it had been any worse, I couldn't have drank it, and if it had been any better, you wouldn't have given it to me!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread