I lied!This would be my oldest silver ever.(new pics)

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Not a fresh find,but definitely a mystery.I found this one some thirty years ago on an old mountain trail,well before the days of the internet(as if that helps!).I found some information at the local library back then in book published in 1955 and showed a value of $500,but that coin showed the same smooth back but had a mintmark of a numeral 1 with wings.It was several years before I actually went over the coin with a magnifier and "lo&behold" there it was(the mintmark).The estimated date is 460b.c. and as near as I can tell was minted in Carthage.I had a jeweler add the hook in 1989(I know) simply to get some use out of it, since I couldn't find anyone that knew anything about it.Oh yeah,it's a tetradrachm and is a silver and gold mixture.DBULL

Attachments

• 044b.jpg
    044b.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,547
  • 002b.jpg
    002b.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 857
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 922
Upvote 0
Re: I lied!This would be my oldest silver ever.

XL-PRO, Hey interesting find ! Pretty sure it is modern reminder of an ancient coin - this
kind of thing has been done for every kind of fashion jewelry - even zipper pulls for jackets.
still a fun find . Argentium.

I would have thought the same except I would think that a repro would be stamped sterling or .925.It came out of the ground as shiney as it is now and why stamp the mintmark (not visable to the naked eye) on the back.I really think it's the real deal.The first coins were stamped on one side only.

Since your photo of the obverse is kinda fuzzy , could you please put up a clear one ,
of both sides ? Thanks - Argentium.

I found a coin from an antique land
That had in a blur of light a vague horse's head
On a mountain trail. I stood with it on that sand,
And wondered at the flash and obscure glory of old,
The indistinct sneer of a stone's wrinkled lip,
And cold command of chariot and horse, now hard to tell
So that it can only be guesssed at, stamped in its lifeless unfocus,
A photograph that mocked them on the internet;
And on the coin these words appeared:
“oxxooso eiso odxxxut utut," or something close, I'm sure.
So does the picture fail the eyes and make one despair.
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
of that unfocused photograph, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands and scratched heads stretch far away.

Actually if it's the real deal it would have been minted on the island of Sicilly in the mid 300's BC. If in great shape it would be worth 2000 dollars or more. The other side either has the goddess Tanit or hercules in a lionskin hat. Look for it in the book Greek coins and their values....kane23

Unfortunately this coin isn't in any book that I've researched.Other than the one book at the library(which is long gone) and a lady in Ontario no one seems to know anything about it.It is minted on one side only so there would be nothing on the reverse other than the mintmark.I'll try to post some better pics tonight.Thanks,DBULL

XL-PRO PRO said:
Unfortunately this coin isn't in any book that I've researched.Other than the one book at the library(which is long gone) and a lady in Ontario no one seems to know anything about it.It is minted on one side only so there would be nothing on the reverse other than the mintmark.I'll try to post some better pics tonight.Thanks,DBULL
It's not in a book cause it's not a coin, at least not a tetradrachm. Maybe a copy of something though? good luck HH
BK

here we go again.

Modern copy. The legend starts again, see previous Tnet discussion on this modern repro.

Not a tetradrachm.I put on my scales and it weighs 7.6 grams.Shekel or stater maybe?

XL-PRO PRO said:
Not a tetradrachm.I put on my scales and it weighs 7.6 grams.Shekel or stater maybe?
:icon_scratch: Seriously.

Definitely just a piece of jewelry. I doubt it was ever a coin or meant to be a coin. You can buy a silver testing kit to at least determine the metal.

Not a coin! Modern jewelry.

It's a flippin' repro.....I have seen them before.

I've been looking for thirty years and if it is a repro or a peice of jewelry,I've yet to see another one like it.It was shown in a Greek coin book published in 1955,complete with the mintmark.

XL-Pro , Well you've generated some discussion here ! Not to be a pest , but please put up
clear pictures , though a modern fashion piece , it is a cool find ! Argentium.

Here's a similar one on eBay:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJ!wE7))oIik3BPG33Pw4wQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJ!wE7))oIik3BPG33Pw4wQ~~60_3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 926
  • $(KGrHqRHJBIE7)0fnHpuBPG33RsCig~~60_3heads.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJBIE7)0fnHpuBPG33RsCig~~60_3heads.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 928
It's a modern copy meant as jewelry. Coins have been made stamped on one side usually in error, this is not one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back