I love this Rock but...................

F

Felinepeachy

I don't know what it is. While looking for American Indian artifacts I often find this type of rock. Some of them have been worked on as is the case with this one. I don't know why it was never finished. The blue in it is really blue and very pretty. Anyway, does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• DSC00044.JPG
    DSC00044.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 772
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 767
Nice stone Peachy :thumbsup:. By the way , looks Agate ish, not my area tho' :read2:

Upvote 0
Concoidal fracture indicates common opal to me (similar to obsidian). Opal can be rather transluscent or cloudy. I'd say this is the cloudy common type. Can't identify the base rock. If someone else can, it might throw light on what the stone actually is.

Upvote 0
That is a piece of fossiliferous agate, probably originating from a layer of fossil rich marine limestone, in which the calcium has been replaced with silicates. That fine fossil pattern in the second pic (called sutures, I believe) may carry through to the "blue" chalcedony in the first. Also looks like there are quite a few shell fragments spread throughout. The part with the sutures would make a pretty cabochon. Nice chunk of rock. By the way, flint is a member of the chalcedony group that contains agate, jasper, onyx, sard and others. Flint readily sparks when struck with flint. It is often, but incorrectly, used as a general term.

Upvote 0
A BLUE ROCK? yeh thats it a blue rock.

actually looks like 2 types of stones one covering the other -- like the way a batch of amethyst are in a nodule clumped together -- this is just a part of a busted node.

Upvote 0
Some form of Chalcedony. 100% sure that ain't opal.

Upvote 0
:icon_thumleft: I would have brought it home too!!!! The colors are so beautiful, I love those shades of blue!!!!! :icon_thumright: Red :headbang:

Upvote 0
I'm a beginner but guessing I'm saying its petrified something or other. It is unusual :tongue3: though.

Upvote 0
round here they call that "Chert"; it is a form of Chalcedony and very similar to what is also called flint. I think technically it is metamorphic limestone. Florida is loaded with it and the Indians used it for making all sorts of tools. It is found amongst Florida's State rock "Agatized Coral" which is why some people call it an Agate. I think in the big scheme of things they are all the same or at least close cousins.

Chert comes in various colors and cleaves easily, sometimes insdide there are pockets of tiny crystals which glimmer in the sun.

Hope this helps.

-Thomas

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back