I made it to Australia

We finally got here about 3 weeks ago.

First couple of weeks we were busy buying furniture and cars, but finally have been able to go down to the beach to test out my new Excalibur. I've been out twice now for a total of about 7 hours.

So far I haven't found any gold or silver, but the change adds up a lot quicker down here as there are no notes in Australia smaller than $5 so people carry $1 and $2 coins. I've been out twice and have found just under $17 in change.

It's winter down here right now so not many people in the water. I've just been mostly hunting in the dry sand for now.

They must have had a storm just before we arrived as the beaches have lost tons of sand. I'm not really sure how that affects hunting as I am new to the beach scene.

The beach is an awesome place to hunt and easy to dig. I love it.

Upvote 0
you have an Excal and you are in the dry sand? Id be out in that water in a heartbeat though I think Id get a good wetsuit with the boots ect..there are some really nasty little box jellies around there somewhere that I saw on the Discovery channel or someplace, I dont think they can sting through a wetsuit can they? Im a landlubber but plan to be near the beach in my later years...

A beach is a beach and this site will help you with all you need to know. Good luch with your move and post some pictures of your finds. I'm sure we'll all finf them interesting. http://thegoldenolde.com/
Deepsix

What state are you in, down South you have no worries about Jelly fish. But we do have the odd shark,good luck with your detecting seeya Neilo (South Australia)

Hi Andrew and Neilo,

Great to hear from some guys down here. I was beginning to feel all alone as I have not seen anyone detecting at the beach since I've been here.

I am in Queensland on the Gold Coast.

Since I've been here, about 3 weeks, I've been out about 6 times. So far I've found about $20 in change and a magnet bracelet. I love the $1 and $2 coins, adds up in a hurry. Most of that has been in the dry sand. Down in the water has been bleak. Hardly any signals at all, not even bottle caps.

I'm thinking that since it's early spring, no one's been in the water much yet. The beaches here have lost TONS of sand over the winter, so I'm thinking that too a lot of stuff may be under 5' of sand.

I'm actually a land lubber and this beach stuff is quite new to me, but I am loving it. Wading through the surf is much more enjoyable than trudging through the park in high temps, humidity and mozzie's back in the States.

Thanks Andrew for posting the link to the Aussie site, you'll see me there. How is the hunting on the Sunshine Coast? From what I have read of Neilo's posts, SA seems pretty good. I'm not sure the Gold Coast dates back pre decimal too far. I did find a 1c coin today 1971. I figure that's about as old as you're gonna find here.

Glad you had a chance to come down under,probably a bit cold for the beaches yet,it will warm up soon,we went metric in 1966 from memory but you can still pull pre decemal coins from the beaches and jewelry,would not worry about that five inches of sand first good storm will probably pull it all back off,anyway hope you find heaps. 8)

HI NEAesculus

The sunshine coast is like a Minnie me of the Gold coast.
I do OK , but as they say you cant find any thing sitting in a arm chair. I average about 2.50 per hour on bad day on a good day about 5.00 per hour plus the odd ring, watch ect......

You have an advantage , the Japanese, they will not leave there jewelry in the hotel , bad luck or something like that, so off to the beach they go.

Over summer you should clean up , i just got back from my honey moon form the gold coast and went for a swing around tower 30 and 31 (life guard) after 4 hours pick up 12.50 in change and stainless ring.

With 50000 people each week over the holidays , and the length of beach it will be endless detecting.

The beach is so easy to dig , so i dig all targets . Its paid off a couple of times.

1. rusty nail 2 dollar coin under it ,
2. rusty chain and a silver charm on it.

The only tip ill can give you if the sand if really soft like your foot sinks 5 inches don’t bother to detect. The good Stuff will sink to far down , and if the sand if firm then go hard.

Looking forward to your finds

Cya Andrew
;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back