I need a pro rock identifier!

Leaveriteamirite

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need this rock identified please and thank you. It has a waxy appearance. From Payson area from what I understand (maybe?) A gift from a friend before they passed. I have been wanting to get it identified and this is my first real attempt. The rock shops near me are closed and I'm super excited!!!

Hardness: 7+

Appearance: opaque with ribbons/bands, waxy, fairly heavy, impervious, possible diamonds (diamond tester goes nuts).

Sed my profile I suppose.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to need a picture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leaveriteamirite

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mobile app ui is hard to post photos I apologise. PXL_20210612_175259952.MP~2.jpg PXL_20210612_175357052~2.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be in the quartz family with a hardness of 7. I can't tell what the mineralization is in it.

Upvote 0

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im thinking Chert. Lighter specimens tend to be more opaque due to abundant and extremely minute inclusions of water or air.:zoom:

Welcome from Texas :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leaveriteamirite

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean it's over 7 hardness. No air. It's very dense and doesn't feel like a jasper. Maybe chert, I suppose I could see that, but someone said there is a chance that the yellow on it is weathered fusion crust (maybe... Although seems too good to be true). It is incredibly hard, but I haven't put it through many tests. It seems to be far more durable than any of the chert I have from when I loved in Moab, Utah.

Upvote 0

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I mean it's over 7 hardness. No air. It's very dense and doesn't feel like a jasper. Maybe chert, I suppose I could see that, but someone said there is a chance that the yellow on it is weathered fusion crust (maybe... Although seems too good to be true). It is incredibly hard, but I haven't put it through many tests. It seems to be far more durable than any of the chert I have from when I loved in Moab, Utah.
Could also be a lighter variety of flint, which is slightly harder but very similar to chert. I wouldn't say the yellow is fusion crust because it is only occurrent on meteorites that have spent time on the surface. IMO it was caused by the minerals contact with iron whereas iron oxides caused staining on its surface also via weathering.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SiO2 - silicon dioxide - quartz, chert, jasper, et al.

What smokey says but I'll add chalcedony or a poor agate due to the waxy luster and some banding. Quite a bit of that material in AZ.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions