What's new

I need help identifying some points from my personal find collection.

Osage

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
28
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
I posted a like request on a couple of other sites without much help. First the whole display. The points were found in Mo.

DSCN1150.jpg


#1 Some think Agate Basin others not. It is ground 1/3 at base. It was found in Pettis Co. Mo.

DSCN1159.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

DSCN1154.jpg


#2 could this be a used up Agate Basin? It does have a ground base.

DSCN1211.jpg

DSCN1212.jpg

DSCN1206.jpg


#3 This point was found in Lafeyette Co. Mo. It has heavily ground base.

DSCN1195.jpg

DSCN1194.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg


#4 Any help?

DSCN1164.jpg


#5 Three little guys?

DSCN1210.jpg


#6 What could this be ??

DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg


#7

DSCN1208.jpg


I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I know absolutely nothing about point types in Missouri but those are all killers!!!! Thanks for sharing.
 
Welcome to t-net. Very nice artifacts. There is a guy that hunts in Mo and finds a lot of stuff. Hopefully he will check in or maybe Neanderthal will see them and chime in. Thanks for sharing. Do you still get out and hunt? You did well.
 
Welcome.. I will give it a shot and say your first...if not an agate basin..(it does look like one).. looks like it could be an Eden or scottsbluff typeI. Leaning towards Eden....the second looks like a friday knife and the third looks like a scottsbluff typeII
 
Last edited:
I have a few Texas pieces through trade that lead me to study the area some. Here is my Scottsbluff I..and knife. Notice how the knives have one square and one rounded side on the base.

ForumRunner_20130106_175555.webp
 
Last edited:
Gator, are you sure that's a Scottsbluff? Doesn't look like any I've ever seen. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic.

I don't believe the Point above is one either. I think was right in thinking it's a Kramer.
 
Last edited:
Like I said.. I only studied some trade items I could easily be wrong..but I'm betting the scottsbluff points your thinking of are type II as are most.there is a typeI variant that has little to no evidence of a stem or shoulders. I'm just throwing out there what my small bit of research has shown me.
 
Last edited:
Osage - welcome to the site and you're obviously finding some very nice pieces. The center point in the case picture really looks like a Sedalia in the case. However the closer-ups show better flaking, edge work and basal grinding that would suggest Agate Basin. The top left point looks like a late Paleo, early archaic point, possibly a Goldorina. Again, a very nice find.
 
Mabey this will help. Either way ... nice finds! I'm just a Florida cracker.

ForumRunner_20130106_211200.webp



ForumRunner_20130106_211225.webp



0201_011101.webp
 
top left

Osage - welcome to the site and you're obviously finding some very nice pieces. The center point in the case picture really looks like a Sedalia in the case. However the closer-ups show better flaking, edge work and basal grinding that would suggest Agate Basin. The top left point looks like a late Paleo, early archaic point, possibly a Goldorina. Again, a very nice find.

Here is a closer look at top left point. Looks to be a Dalton to me.

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1168.jpg


Thanks all for taking time to help on this.
 
Gator, are you sure that's a Scottsbluff? Doesn't look like any I've ever seen. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic.

I don't believe the Point above is one either. I think was right in thinking it's a Kramer.

I was thinking Kramer until someone informed me that Kramer does not have basil grinding. This point is heavily ground ??
 
Here is a closer look at top left point. Looks to be a Dalton to me.

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1168.jpg


Thanks all for taking time to help on this.

Looks like fort payne chert ?
 
It's not a Scottsbluff (Gator's doesn't appear to be either), that point in question is a heavily worked down Hidden Valley. They are early, every bit as early as Scottsbluff.

You're correct, that one is a Dalton - material is Reeds Spring chert.

#1. It "could" be an Agate Basin, but it's not a-typical. The material is Jefferson City chert and it's questionable as to whether it's been heated or not. If it has, it's far more likely that it's related to the late "Rice".
#2. This is far more typical of Agate Basin flaking. From the area found and overall appearance, this could very well be a Packard Point (named for the Packard site in Mayes Co. OK - they do have a relationship with Agate Basin).
#3. Hidden Valley that has been resharpened to almost a nubbin (hence the robust appearance).
#4. I can't tell from the pic, could be large Apple Creek.
#5. Mixture of Aux Arc and small Apple Creek.
#6. Not sure, but appears to be from the McKean Complex.


Steve - that site SUCKS, lol. It's worse than Overstreet (if that's possible).
 
Wow!! You made my day Neanderthal. Here are a few more pics of the #4.

DSCN1163.jpg

DSCN1161.jpg

DSCN1162.jpg


Again much thanks Neanderthal.
 
I wonder what material #2 is made of ? Would not Jefferson city chert indicate an early archaic probability? My reading suggest Jefferson city use was followed by Burlington use. Burlington use in the mid- late archaic. It would be nice to know if the #1 was heat treated for time sequencing also. Any thoughts ??
 
Well!! After more reading it appears Jeff. City was used later too. My reading on this has only confused me.:dontknow:
 
That's a beautiful collection.

Where I live, projectile points are REALLY hard to come by. I spent an entire summer walking streams and picking up thousands of rocks and had very little luck.
I did find a really nice hand ax though.

I recently met a woman while out hunting one day who found a few really nice points and one hand ax. She even gave me the location and said I was welcome to cut through her property to get to it. That's definitely on my list but I haven't gotten there yet.

Last year is when I got back into the metal detecting. I can't find points but I always find something.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom