What's new

i need help!

Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hey guys i'm thirteen and from central florida and had a couple of questions. Are there any suggestions on a relatively low cost but efficient metal detectors. Also, i know Florida isn't really an old state so where are some good places to search for older coins? thanks - brad
 
When you say low cost, how low are you talking. There's some good low cost detectors out there but be very careful. Some low cost detectors are just that. CHEAP. The Tesoro Compadre is a very good detector at a very low cost. There's nothing CHEAP about it. It will find lots of goodies and has a lifetime warranty. It can be had for approx. $150.00 with free shipping. If you watch the net, you can find one for less. I have one and love it. Got it on Ebay for a hundred bucks.

As far as where to hunt in Florida, watch the forums on this website and learn how to do the research. Any place where people are present is a good place. It will take a little longer for the old stuff but it is there.

If you need more help, there's a lot of good people here that will be glad to help. All you have to do is ask. :icon_sunny:

Good Luck
Randy
 
Hi Brad, Welcome to the forum. Most detectors that are worh having can cost around $200 dollars new. Like the Garrett Ace 250. There are Bounty Hunter's that are cheaper.

One of the oldest cities in the US is St. Augustine I believe. About any older neiborhood can have older coins. The best thing to do is learn your detector and ask the old timers where they used to go or visit and hunt there. Learn good retrieval so you don't have to dig any holes and learn.

Good Luck Brad, :hello:
Sandman
 
Florida has tons of beaches which means gold and silver jewelry!!! Good Luck!
 
i was looking in the 100-175 dollar price range, any suggestions? and, i know there are many beaches to hunt at, but i was wondering about early american coinage (like from 1700-1960's)
 
first off welcome to TNET iliketofindstuff ..... theres a couple really good detectors in the $150-$250 price range ,good name brand detectors dont go with junk you will regret the hard earned money you spent if you do ...as for places to start dirt huntin well go to city parks ,kids play grounds ,beaches theres allways somewhere to go an remember if your machine beeps dig it .dig it all :icon_thumleft:

good luck an happy huntin :icon_thumleft:
 
The Tesoro Compadre ang the Garrett Ace 250 are both real good machines in that price range .I myself own a Ace 250 an its a real nice machine .
 
Welcome to TreasureNet

For that price your not going to get anything you can use in the water and wet salt sand will be a problem unless you turn the sense way down to stablize it.

I do have a Whites Classic ID with the Mr Bill mod that is in really sweet condition and very good for land.. If you can swing $275 I can sell it to you and since your in Central Fl and I am in Orlando, I am sure I could deliver it to you and show you how to use it. It can be used on wet salt beaches, but it would also need the sense turned down as well.

If your interested send me an IM...................
 
i apreciate the offer but that's a little out of my range lol, don't get me wrong though, i'm willing to save up. also, i've seen in some videos these guys had these stick detector things after they pulled the plug out, what are those? is there really a need for one of those?
 
I can understand being short on the cash.

I am not sure what "stick things" you mean. You will need to provide a picture or link to the video of what your talking about before someone can say..

What part of Central Florida are you in?
 
iliketofindstuff said:
i apreciate the offer but that's a little out of my range lol, don't get me wrong though, i'm willing to save up. also, i've seen in some videos these guys had these stick detector things after they pulled the plug out, what are those? is there really a need for one of those?

Brad,
I immagine you are describing a pin-pointer. They are really nice for helping find a small object in a hole or plug, but far from a necessity.

keep an eye out on e-bay for a detector. If you stay with a reputible dealer or somebody with all positive feedback, you might do well price wise.

As for Florida being not so old, Juan Ponce de León, explored the area in 1513. It was under colonial rule by Spain and Great Britain before becoming a US territory in 1822. It was admitted to the union as a U.S. state in 1845.

Just how old did you want it to be????????

Get a detector and get out there son!

Tim
 
As for the stick thing , that's exactly what I was talking about.do I really need one? And I guess florida is pretty old haha and I am in the Orlando UCF area of central Florida
 
Brad,
Nope, you don't have to have a pinpointer. You will eventully want one though. It saves a lot of time staring into what appears to be an empty hole. lol......Once you have established you are bitten by the bug on a permanant basis, maybe you will get a pinpointer for Chrismas, a birthday, or just be able to buy one with the money from that gold ring you find.

Good luck,
Tim
 
iliketofindstuff said:
As for the stick thing , that's exactly what I was talking about.do I really need one? And I guess florida is pretty old haha and I am in the Orlando UCF area of central Florida

You can order a cheap pin-pointer from Harbor Freight. They are about $15 plus shipping. They work well just don't beat on them. I have had one for 2 years now and It's still working.

Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

Welcome to the forum and with metal detecting, as with all things worth wild, patience and research is the key!!

Best of luck to you!
 
:icon_thumright: wtg TH great offer man
 
i know this sounds funny but, do i need any certian kind of "shovel" to cut plugs?
 
Read all you can on this forum about equipment and gear. Sometimes a member will have a used detector and all the gear to go with it at a very reasonable price. Check online with some of our sponsors for special deals. The more you can spend as a beginner usually the better you will enjoy the sport/hobby and the better success you will have. Look for a local detecting club you can go to and sit in on one of their meetings. They will be glad to have you and can answere all your questions and probably show you some of the things you will need. Good luck. Monty
 
iliketofindstuff said:
i know this sounds funny but, do i need any certian kind of "shovel" to cut plugs?

There is no special tool to dig treasure. Get your detector first and you will find the best tool too dig the treasure. I started with my pocket knife and now the back of my truck is full of tools to dig with. You have a lifetime of learning ahead of you. Don't rush it, just enjoy it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom