I need some help!

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I just found this site thanks to river rat. I can't seem to find info I'm looking for. Can y'all guide me thru this?

I have a white 4900 I'm trying to learn and don't know where to ask questions.Where is the right place?

I also have never heard of "penpointers" so would like to know where to go for ratings etc of different brands and models. Is there something on this site or how do I do this?

My MD is 20 years old but still has the original batteries in it. That's how little use it has seen. I'd like to be able to compare all these newer,more advanced MD to mine and to eachother but don't know where to look. I'm sure the newer ones are much easier to learn to us but cost is also a factor for my limited income.

Can y'all get me on the right place to learn a little more? Thanks y'all!

Wade

There are a few threads on "Pin Pointers" Might try a search on that.

The predominant pin pointer folks seem to use is the Garret Pin Pointer.
Another brand folks seem to use is I believe called SunRay or Sun{something}.
Minelab has recently come out with one as well.

For White's there is a dedicated forum at White's

Go to Harbor Freight and get a $16 pinpointer. They work fine.

Well, first off, if the batteries are the original one's installed in the battery pack for the metal detector and if they are 20 years old, then they probably have leaked acid and destroyed the battery pack. Remove the battery pack which holds 4 "C" cell sized batteries, remove the batteries and see if the battery pack/holder is damaged. If so, then you may be able to clean all of the acid off the connections, install new batteries and the metal detector will work fine. If the battery pack cannot be cleaned/repaired, then you will have to purchase another one or two (depending upon if you want a backup) from a White's Metal Detector Dealer or possibly off of eBay.

To get you started you will need the Instruction Manual for the correct model of White's 4900 metal detector you have (see the links below), read it and learn everything you can about it. While all 4 4900 Models of White's Metal Detectors have somewhat similar features...controls and settings, some are a lot different! The metal detector should have Factory Preset recommended settings (a triangle with a "P" in the center) for normal conditions, you might find some tips online for the best settings but use and experience is the best (i.e. learn your' metal detector). Understand that the metal detector can be adjusted for Ground Balance, Threshold (loudness of signal when not over a target), Sensitivity (to increase/decrease the metal detector's sensitivity to certain types of targets, soil and for depth) and can discriminate out or not discriminate out certain types of metals/targets, Volume control and depending upon which model you have, may have a SAT setting (Self Adjusting Threshold). Learn these controls and settings and how to apply and use them in the field.

As far as Pinpointers are concerned, there are quite a few Threads and Posts on TNnet discussing these, so read. Also, check out reviews of these online. White's, Garrett, Minelab and SunRay probably make the best available but there are others. However, you get what you pay for, so keep that in mind when choosing a Pinpointer.

White's 4900 D Manual http://www.whiteselectronics.com/me.../samples/c/m/cm_4900_d_instruction_manual.pdf

White's 4900 DL Max Manual http://www.whiteselectronics.com/me...les/c/m/cm_4900_dl_max_instruction_manual.pdf

White's 4900 DL Pro Manual http://www.whiteselectronics.com/me...les/c/m/cm_4900_dl_pro_instruction_manual.pdf

White's 4900 D Pro Plus Maunal http://www.whiteselectronics.com/me...c/m/cm_4900_d_pro_plus_instruction_manual.pdf

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks to the three of you. I am just overwhelmed at the stuff I need to learn! I should also clarify,I have the 4900DL pro and the manual. It is in perfect working condition as I have always kept it in a low humidity area.Also,I have posted on the White's forum so hopefully will not be too much of a bother to others.
Can any of you tell me what this means? While in geb/disc I will sweep over a target and it will go silent. Is the detector telling me anything in particular? I know a solid tone is a good target and a broken tone is junk(for the most part) but what about it going silent?
I am quite anxious to learn this detector as I have a couple ghost towns that I don't think have been searched along with 2 revolutionary war graveyard areas,and at least 6 private properties that noone has occupied since at least 1960 that have not been searched.
Anywho,thanks for the info and I hope to learn a lot more from "you pro's" in the future!

Wade

First, your 4900 detector is analog, and the newer detectors are digital. Your 4900 will do just as good a job finding stuff as a digital one will. GEB stands for "ground exclusion balance," read your book and learn to ground balance your machine. I have a 6000 so don't know how different yours is, but I'm assuming you have a trigger for pinpointing. Your coil has to be moving fairly fast to find a target. Once you get a hit, pull the trigger and pin point. Pin point in an X, or from two different directions. If your machine only hits going on way, don't bother to dig it. If you have a good hit, dig the plug, then use a separate pin pointer to find the target in the hole. The Sunray pin pointer won't work on your machine, like the man says, get one from harbor freight. As I got older I finally purchased an MXT because it's lighter in weight and has a cuff. As far as finding targets, it isn't a lick better than the analog machine for that.

Last edited:
First, your 4900 detector is analog, and the newer detectors are digital. Your 4900 will do just as good a job finding stuff as a digital one will. GEB stands for "ground exclusion balance," read your book and learn to ground balance your machine. I have a 5900 so don't know how different yours is, but I'm assuming you have a trigger for pinpointing. Your coil has to be moving fairly fast to find a target. Once you get a hit, pull the trigger and pin point. Pin point in an X, or from two different directions. If your machine only hits going on way, don't bother to dig it. If you have a good hit, dig the plug, then use a separate pin pointer to find the target in the hole. The Sunray pin pointer won't work on your machine, like the man says, get one from harbor freight. As I got older I finally purchased an MXT because it's lighter in weight and has a cuff. As far as finding targets, it isn't a lick better than the analog machine for that.

No Pinpoint on this older machine! The push button on the handle of the 4900 DL Pro is for setting the Ground Balance.

Frank

Hey Boat's! Thanks for the reply! Sk3 here.Brown water gator navy. 69-73! OK as far as the MD,mine has a button on the handle that switches modes. If I'm in geb/norm,push the button and hold it down for geb/disc and if in geb disc, push and hold down for geb/norm. I ground balance in geb/norm with all dials set at "P",get the volume I can deal with and swing. Hit the button on the handle resets ground balance.
I have read this manual like eleventeen times and don't find a mention of penpointing so I assume I don't have it.And mine also has a cuff and 6 control dials.On/off/sat and battery check,tuner dial,sensitivity,mode(geb/norm,geb/disc,tr/disc,geb/max),geb dial,disc dial,plus what they call a tuner button on top the handle.The manual says the only mode that needs motion is geb/disc and advises to switch modes to pinpoint by holding the tuner button down.
I've had this thing out 6-8 times now for short periods and have found lots of junk I dug just to get used to things and found a penny and a two cent euro. I am having some hits in geb/disc that when I pass over the target the tuner goes silent. I've not been able to find info on this.Have any idea?The place I'm using it at is over 300 years old and has not been occupied since 1959 so I assume there could be some goodies in the ground.In 1969 the government tested a tree in the yard and it was over 300 years old then. It was said it came up out of a sinkhole.I had a hit under this tree lastnight and dug up an old broken gear of some sort down about 10" so that goes along with the story.And the old roadway not used since 59 has lots of hits under the old road surface and it is now covered with 5 inches of soil.I'm going to stay out of there 'till I check out the old house and barn.
Thanks again,

Wade

I'm not familiar with the 4900, but it sounds to me like it does pinpoint. If you ground balance in geb/norm, then search in geb/norm. I think if it was me, I'd ground balance in geb/dics. Then if you get a hit, if it breaks up you know it's iron. I'm thinking it will also null out on some trash. If you get a hit going one way, cross it going the other way, and if it nulls out in that direction, then it's probably trash. At least it was on mine. If you get a solid hit going both ways crossing the X, then push the button and pin point in geb/norm. Cross the X when you pin point and when the signal is the loudest going each direction, dig your plug. Also, don't run silent, set your machine so that you have a barely audible hum. Then deep small targets will break that hum and give you reason to check further. At first if you think the machine is telling you it's trash, dig it and see what it is. I had my machine breakup on a hit, like it was iron, and it was several good targets close together. Every time you dig a target you are learning something.

Hey 1shot, I was in the gator navy, but it was at the tail end of Korea, so never landed on a combat beach. I was a boat Coxswain, drove a LCM, but not rated, I was a boatswain mate striker. After Korea rates were frozen and nobody could get advanced. I wasn't about to be a seaman with a hash mark, so got out. Got a friend that was brown water in Nam, only he was there after we weren't supposed to be, and his service record is all blacked out. All the talk now days about the VA, he can sure tell you stories about them, he's been fighting with the VA for years.

Y'all have been VERY helpful! It's nice to be where people with knowledge will share that with you! Thanks so much!Acording to you replies,I have to assume that I am actually doing what I should but have a bad case of newbe jitters.I will however have to get a pinpointer. It seems it will save a lot of time in the hole.
We just had a good rain so it would be a good time to play again.So glad I have a place so close to "test" this machine on a regular basis.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Wade

Yah,I did a tour in the Mekong delta then 3 years on the Raleigh LPD-1. My wife is also a vet. and we're both on VA healthcare.I know all about some of the stupid that can come out of that system.She just had gail blatter surgery. We had to wait 6 weeks. In the mean time a friend (civilian) had the same in 3 days.We have to do the "means" test every year and you can only make a nickle ninety eight or they kick you out of the system.I got money in the bank and can't use it or we loose our healthcare.It's crazy!
Where are you? We are in southern Indiana!
Later,

Wade

I almost forgot,I was on a LCM making a landing and the stern line coiled up washed over and hung up in the screws.We got sideways with no power and swamped the boat.The Marines had to swim for shore and the coxswain and myself had to ride it in until they shot us a line and a tank pulled us the rest of the way into shore.We were in 15' of 70* water for about an hour.We like to froze to death!You can't believe how cold 70* water feels!
Later,WB

Last edited:
I think when you sweep over a target which causes the detector to go silent you have scanned a target which you have discriminated out. I remember some older White's model will do this.

JSF-thanks for the reply! That may be what it is. I think I'm just going to take the time to dig these targets and see if there is some relativity to each other.It may be all mountain dew cans or all lead projectiles. I had just assumed since I have had so many of these that others were experiencing this also.

Wade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back