What's new

I need some opinions - My old foundation site - w/Pics

Midnightrider08

Full Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
113
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Today I decided to switch modes and go for a bit of history. So wife and I headed to a farm where we had permission to go anytime, we found the owner and asked where he would suggest to start. He told us up in the sugar woods was the first foundation in town on first road in town by first settler in town in 1790 and that to best of his knowledge and records for his property nobody had lived in it since 1867 at the latest. He warned that it was a hike and that to follow the "Carved" out road at end of meadow and not the logging trail.

So up we went. I detected the entire way with not a hint of anything but was sorta a half hearted attempt as our main goal for the day was simply finding the foundation. After about 45 mins - Hour we located the foundation and the road either behind or in front of it . I beleive I approacehed it from the backside but I could be wrong and will know once I locate a fireplace. It had stones all along the outside about 20-30 feet then side walls were 15 feet-30. Then the logging road goes over part of it . then a stone wall , another old road and then another stone wall , there is a gap between the stone wall from the site to the old road which makes me think I approached it from the backside comming up the hill .

Anyways we began detecting the backside of foundation . I hit a load deep coin single and we dug and retrieved some square nails (Backside/ On a Hillside) .. wife kept digging that hole. I moved to the corner to my right and got another one and dug some more nails and kept getting singles , wife joined me and told me to move on as it was sprinkling . She found more nails and started finding pottery(small pieces) with color . I hit another good target on side wall and more nails more pottery and good size piece of really think green glass. I moved to the front and got more singles and found what I think to be the bottom of a old crock and other crock pieces. When all of a sudden wife says "Tooth" I can't even explain how I fealt at that moment ... I think I literally wanted to run away but for fear of feeling like a chicken in front of my wife I stayed. We determined it to be a predators tooth and put it in a bag got few more nails and headed home for the day.

When I got it home and examined it ... I noticed it still had what looked like a long root hanging from it and when I turned it upside up from what I thought it was I realized it looked like it could be really large back molars. I need to know A. why would they be right along the back wall ? B. Where can I go to find out what the teeth belong to ? and C. Would you go back ?

Here's my best attempt at getting pics on here :

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/berkshirerdside/

You can't take a farmer our of the parlor and stick him in front of Pc and expect him to know what he's doing. My Pc skills aren't the best folks.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I need some opinions

I have to get pics to disc before I can get them online and I am getting that done tomorrow for everything I have found from first week detecting. I also will bringing my camera the next time I go as there is a deer stand close by and I think I can get a good pic of the site looking down on it.

Also another Noob question would be why does the square nails ring as loud coin ?
 
Re: I need some opinions

Um lemme see, first foundation, first road aww shut up you had me at 1790 :tard:
of course i'd go back. Pick the place clean 8-10 hour shifts then if you find anything unusual or suspicious report it to the authorities only if you are sure it is human remains. Cause if its not you can bet you still just lost a relic hunters dream spot.
 
Re: I need some opinions

"When all of a sudden wife says "Tooth" I can't even explain how I fealt at that moment ... I think I literally wanted to run away but for fear of feeling like a chicken in front of my wife I stayed. We determined it to be a predators tooth and put it in a bag got few more nails and headed home for the day."

HUH?

This is way common in abandoned sites...once people move out critters move in. Just curious why a tooth was scary?

Looking forward to pics, some of us here collect bones on purpose and might be able to help.
 
Re: I need some opinions

I guess I'm just not into bones and a little freaked out. The Tooth or Teeth are rather Big and not just a critter unless it's a big one. Also it was found right up against the stone foundation.

Also I found brick which I thought to be odd considering how crude the foundation looked. It almost looked like it was designed to overlook the hill.

Do I literally pick it clean ? That's the wifes idea. She ready to bring rakes , picnic basket , the whole nine yards. Plus wants to know if I can build a shifter table type contraption. My thoughts are I most likely going to find alot of nails.

There is a closer place to enter from which I found on my way out as I walked towards the current road instead of back the way I came. So to get to site is only now 10-15 mins.

Just gives me the willys to think that's the place the first person in town ever settled and I'm gonna excavate it. It really should be done though as the loggers just keep damaging it to begin with.
 
Re: I need some opinions

K...lemme set your mind at ease a bit...odds of tooth being human are slim to none. Humans, in general parctice, bury former humans in places other than next to the back wall of the house. What's very likey is it's a critter that lived and died in the structure, it's bones accumulated along the wall when the building gave up the ghost to gravity OR a wounded animal (like a deer) that sought refuge in a protected spot along the wall. Teeth tend to look much larger than the critter they came from, you're seeing it out of normal context of being embeded in a mouth. I've seen dog teeth you'd swear came from a T-Rex.

either way, bones nothing to get worried about...after all, we all have them.

As for distrubing the debris of the first settlers...THAT is a personal choice. Loggers probably not going to hurt artifacts buried in the ground...not to any great degree at least. At the very least, keep carefull records of what you find. Every dectorist disturbs the future record with every shovel full...no different digging clad than old coppas, not to future generations who might be interested in what WE left behind.

Square nails ring as loud as coins cause metal leaches out into the soil around it, creating a much larger "image" than nail really is.
 
Re: I need some opinions

The nearest Vet college can Id the teeth (I am lucky to have MSU near). I would go every chance I got. Your wife sounds like my kinda gal ( no offense intended ). Bongo
 
Re: I need some opinions

I agree! Go back. ID the tooth for your own peace of mind. I bet it is animal not human. Sounds like a great spot. :thumbsup:
 
Re: I need some opinions

I got the pics on disc but don't have any idea how to get them on here , I've tried 3 times. I can send them in email to someone if they can post them here.

The tooth I have been told is animal ... but I still see back molars.

I have 12 pics total but 5 I'd like to show .. anyone help me out here ?
 
Re: I need some opinions

I would definitly good back..be foolish not too... as for the nails..every older house I have detected is always full of nails by the edge of the house.. you need to clean all the nails out before you find the good stuff..it's just part of the process.. an always double check your holes before you cover them....
 
Hopefully this helps....you can explain the pics for everyone. Looks and sounds like an awesome place to detect!! Can't wait to hear about the next trip!!
 

Attachments

  • ebay001.webp
    ebay001.webp
    115.5 KB · Views: 831
  • ebay003.webp
    ebay003.webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 825
  • ebay007.webp
    ebay007.webp
    169.1 KB · Views: 812
and the others
 

Attachments

  • ebay051.webp
    ebay051.webp
    55 KB · Views: 803
  • ebay052.webp
    ebay052.webp
    66.5 KB · Views: 772
I thank you very much .

The first 3 pics are of the site , 2nd one is of items I have found at the site - Pottery , glass, the tooth , nails , a sickle bar (I think) and a couple pieces of wood with holes or grooves in the middle (Maybe handles)

All I know is it's the oldest site off the beaten path away from bother I could find locally to spend my time and I hope to enjoy it every chance I get. Evidence of someone being there and living there prior is amazing. They must have had it kinda rough considering the location.

The last pic is of my first week in detecting finds from tot lots.

Appreciate the help !!!

Going back in morning for a 3-4 hr shift. Will let you all know how it goes. Ground is hard digging and lots of rocks and signals all over.
 
Good luck!! Looking forward to seeing what you find!
 
Look out for anything that looks like this :o !!
 

Attachments

  • bigfoot_stealing.webp
    bigfoot_stealing.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 675
lRandylInlOhiol said:
Look out for anything that looks like this :o !!
Boy if I had a nickel for every time I've seen something like that.....Lemme tell ya!!
 
If I had a foundation site like that with the history behind it like you described I wouldn't care what I dug up, I would just keep on hunting. If my hunting partner yelled "skull with a bullet hole in it" I would respond..."Are there any large coppers under it"? Get back there dude and find some cuh-lone-neel relics!!!....and maybe a few more teeth! :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Tooth non-homo sappien for sure...looks almost like a dog molar, hard to tell. Doesn't appear to have the layers like a veggie only eating critter; not deer or horse. Maybe dog, bear, gigantic raccoon?? Cool in any case.

Drop discrim to zero, max out sens and dig the crap out of the place. Have fun.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom