I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500s hammered coin!)

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only got a little hammered today...but hammered is hammered (1500's hammered coin!)

I have had a hectic work schedule as of late and due to that I decided that I needed a day off. My buddy Bill D. was more than willing to go digging today as I hardly take a day off work.

To set the stage - Bill and I have had a friendly competition this year to see who would dig the most colonial silver. We only counted coins that we dig while digging together and while I jumped out to an early lead, Bill quickly caught up, the score today in the 9th inning was 9 - 8 with me in the lead.

Well folks - I did a Babe Ruth and pointed to the fences (called my shot). Towards the end of the day, Bill was still hard at work looking for the tie when I said "You know there has to be a hammered coin at this tie." Followed by "good luck, I am now going to go and dig a cut coin behind you." Well it technically was not behind Bill, but it was below him on the hill as within 60 seconds I had dug the hammered 1500's cut and holed coin (never seen such a trifecta but it adds character). The coin matches up well with two other hammered Lizzies that I dug last year and it most likely the sixpence (see image for the match).

Well there were other highlights to the day (I will let Bill D fill you in). I managed a handful of buttons and lead. One particuarly cool lead piece is the remnants of a bar clipped from casting shot (see the casting spurs).

Another neat find was the 18th century candlestick - I only wish that I could have recovered more of the pieces. The pewter button and a few other odds and ends came from a very short hunt the other afternoon.

UPDATE: I forgot to include the pictures of a set of early glass cufflinks that I also found. Nice when they are intact.

1k.JPG 1l.JPG

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 252
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    717.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Upvote 23
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine way to close out the season Dan, especially at Bills site:). It was a hard fought Battle and I have no doubt the competition will be as tough next year. Really unique find.

I am not looking forward to next year...Bill picked the pace up quickly at the end and I will be a new father at that point....not making excuses in advance, but making excuses ha ha

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - not an early french button. So many folks claim them all to be french marines when very few actually are. I know you dug the real deals not too long ago (if I am correct). I have probably dug 100+ wannabes and only about 5 of the real deals.

Some are a little more domed than others, and even though that one is similar, I was guessing it probably wasn't. Yes I posted a few a while back, and have dug about 100 total. 18 on one hunt.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are a little more domed than others, and even though that one is similar, I was guessing it probably wasn't. Yes I posted a few a while back, and have dug about 100 total. 18 on one hunt.
Yea this one is not - I remember that post, it was impressive. I consider them sort of like tudor rose buttons...very few are actually what the real deal - it takes a trained eye and experience...so many folks dig a tudor rose and immediately call it a English Naval button.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! 1500's is getting back there! Next time order some eggs to go with that hammie:occasion14:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! 1500's is getting back there! Next time order some eggs to go with that hammie:occasion14:

Thanks man -it is by far not an easy coin to come by in the states...this one is cut, but I will certainly take it!

Love the hammie remark!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread