That is a very good question Tabman. I had to go downstairs and check my Multi Kruzer, and yes, mine goes up to 80 now too, used to only go up to 70. I don't use it much at all anymore for the same reason you stated. 4 tone was just too chatty for me in my area. I switched back to my Makro Racer 2 because of this since 2 tone mode is plenty deep for me while remaining relatively quiet. Back in Early September I had to send my Kruzer back for repair. At that time they just gave me a whole new control box since mine got flooded. My Kruzer at that time was updated to the 2nd release, so there must have been some changes since then that were not publicized. Now I'm thinking i need to give 4 tone another chance. So thanks for the heads up.