Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can someone identify these two buttons? We find some of the most interesting random things in the boxes of relics that are sent to my husband( he has a booth at an antiques store and focuses on Civil War era relics) I'm convinced the first button looks like a WW1 or 2 soldier by his helmet but I could be completely wrong. The second I'm guessing is a sportsman button,it looks like a pheasant to me.The back of the second button is pretty rusted out so I didn't post a pic of it.

Attachments

• image-140652975.jpg
    image-140652975.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image-145821860.jpg
    image-145821860.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image-2871618218.jpg
    image-2871618218.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 109
The 2nd button with the quail on it is what's called a sporting button and would be civilian....the first one not sure.

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0
the other one is interesting Chug Here is a cropped and rotated imageimage-145821860.jpg

Upvote 0
I see the similarity to an M1 helmet on the first button (in your first photo) but those were adopted in 1941 (so WW1 is out), and I think the button looks to pre-date WW2. I think I'm seeing a plume on the helmet, like Roman soldiers and knights had, but I'm not sure. I'm even less sure, but I almost think it looks like there's a dragons head and neck on the right side of it???
At any rate I think it's a fashion button from the early 1900's... But I can always be wrong (sometimes wildly so).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nhbenz said:
I see the similarity to an M1 helmet on the first button (in your first photo) but those were adopted in 1941 (so WW1 is out), and I think the button looks to pre-date WW2. I think I'm seeing a plume on the helmet, like Roman soldiers and knights had, but I'm not sure. I'm even less sure, but I almost think it looks like there's a dragons head and neck on the right side of it???
At any rate I think it's a fashion button from the early 1900's... But I can always be wrong (sometimes wildly so).

How interesting! Not sure if I see dragons or not but do now see what I think could be a plume.Thanks for the input everyone.

Upvote 0
I see an ancient Greek or Roman soldier with helmet having a chinstrap, plume, and pommel. He is wearing armor and a toga wrapped across his chest. Some kind of weapon in his hand? Great buttons! Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Subterranean said:
I see an ancient Greek or Roman soldier with helmet having a chinstrap, plume, and pommel. He is wearing armor and a toga wrapped across his chest. Some kind of weapon in his hand? Great buttons! Sub 8-)

Here is a much more detailed picture I was able to get with the aid of the sun and a magnifying glass. It looks as though he is holding something in his left hand,are we still thinking Roman soldier?

Attachments

• image-1078270553.jpg
    image-1078270553.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3341084207.jpg
    image-3341084207.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
Certainly holding something up, as I can see the fingers.... Oh, and the dragon disappeared (whew, my psychologist was getting concerned). It looks like the hilt of a sword, although I don't quite see a blade... But it just makes sense, so I figure it must be a sword, eh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wasn't seeing the dragon but a good bit of imagination never hurt anybody did it,heh heh? It almost looks like he has his hand through a shield handle of some kind and his arm looks like he has on a coat of armour but then again I tend to have a good imagination too. Having no luck on Google on finding anywhere to post a picture to.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Knight at the Door 2.jpg
    Knight at the Door 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Three Knights at the Door - Front.jpg
    Three Knights at the Door - Front.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Thank you for identifying Spike,I really appreciate it! Will have to make note of the website you used,it may come in handy!

Upvote 0
Nice buttons CoilyGirl and Great ID and link, Iron Spike.
Nick

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back