What's new

I smell like dirt

CreekSide

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2023
Messages
5,839
Reaction score
27,018
Golden Thread
0
It was my 1st actual hunt with the MD. I went last week but couldn’t dig through the clay. Owner told me about an old house that’s long gone. I found horse shoes. I did see some old cedar trees growing in a line so the house must be near that section just have to find it. I then walked the tree line looking for the biggest oak trees and searched the trunks. I found the farmers favorite tree 😆. Found a couple of potted meat cans a sardine can and an old Pepsi can. So I moved on to the next big oak and found this big heavy metal thing. I think it might be an old cotter pin off a tractor or tailor. Something farm related I’m sure. I can go back anytime I want but had to leave early due to some roadwork being done. Maybe next time I’ll find some treasure.
NW Georgia on private property
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6398.webp
    IMG_6398.webp
    5.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6399.webp
    IMG_6399.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
Upvote 13
It was my 1st actual hunt with the MD. I went last week but couldn’t dig through the clay. Owner told me about an old house that’s long gone. I found horse shoes. I did see some old cedar trees growing in a line so the house must be near that section just have to find it. I then walked the tree line looking for the biggest oak trees and searched the trunks. I found the farmers favorite tree 😆. Found a couple of potted meat cans a sardine can and an old Pepsi can. So I moved on to the next big oak and found this big heavy metal thing. I think it might be an old cotter pin off a tractor or tailor. Something farm related I’m sure. I can go back anytime I want but had to leave early due to some roadwork being done. Maybe next time I’ll find some treasure.
NW Georgia on private property
Its hard to tell at times where something was when the grounds covered by leaf litter like in your photos and there's no visible signs. Its just swing and see isn't it.
When I used to relic hunt broken glass was always a good sign to me.
Good luck next visit 👍
 
I’m still trying to figure out my detector. 15 is a horseshoe. What’s confusing is tin beeps as silver so I’m digging lots of trash
 
I’m still trying to figure out my detector. 15 is a horseshoe. What’s confusing is tin beeps as silver so I’m digging lots of trash
Aluminum will sound like silver too. Just part of the game.
 
Aluminum will sound like silver too. Just part of the game.
I still have a higher side of the field to check out of the flood zone. Along the river. Looks like dirt was pushed into the already tall bank. I’m not sure why but will check it on my next trip
 
All Metal Detectors come with a learning curve.
The best way to learn is to spend as much time in the field as possible.
Once you get more familiar with your machine you'll be able to "size" your targets better.
If your mainly hunting for Coin sized targets this is very important.
When hunting for Coins - your trying to find clean, short signals that turn on and off very abruptly .
When you get a nice hit like this step out 90 degree's and swing over the target again.
If the target ID and tones don't change much or at all - there's a good chance it's not "iron wrap"- dig it.
We all still get fooled by some junkie targets but learning to hunt this way will help you make more good finds.

Good Luck !
 
All Metal Detectors come with a learning curve.
The best way to learn is to spend as much time in the field as possible.
Once you get more familiar with your machine you'll be able to "size" your targets better.
If your mainly hunting for Coin sized targets this is very important.
When hunting for Coins - your trying to find clean, short signals that turn on and off very abruptly .
When you get a nice hit like this step out 90 degree's and swing over the target again.
If the target ID and tones don't change much or at all - there's a good chance it's not "iron wrap"- dig it.
We all still get fooled by some junkie targets but learning to hunt this way will help you make more good finds.

Good Luck !
Thanks I didn’t even think about doing that
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom