🥇 BANNER I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT-! chain-cent 1793.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 11,106
Upvote 4

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
It looks like your super rare coin is gonna come out with more detail that the average 215 yr. old copper. I keep coming back to see the coin clean, I admire your discipline! I can't wait to see this post with "updated pics" at the top. Congratulations!

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Holy Cow!! That's an amazing find! You can spend a life time of detecting and not find something nearly as cool. Huge congratulations to you! Today you are the :icon_king:

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
I don't know nothing about the history of that coin or anything, but with all the praising going on I guess I just have to say CONGRATULATIONS! ;D

:wav:

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Again, a TNet member shows me something I would have only seen in a book. Congratulations, and please keep us up to date with your preservation/grading.

KG6YLL

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Sweeeeet... Sure am glad to see that amazing piece of American history...
Can't wait to see it cleaned and slabbed...

HH Robert

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bertman said:

HH Robert thank you all very much-! i not sure what i will due as far as cleaning it up more. but i can say its not going to be sold.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as I was browsing through "Todays Finds" I see "1793 Chain Cent" and must offer my deepest congratulations on your find. It is the "holy grail" of early American coppas, as my buddies up there in Williamsport would say.

For your info, I did dig up 2 "1793 Chain Cents" in my 15 years of detecting, and I sent them in to ANACS to get authenticated, graded, and encapsulated. you can do this yourself without any "middle man" or any "hidden" charges.

I strongly recommend you clean that beauty up first, before you send it in, as I did, but be very careful in how you do it.

If you are not sure how to clean it, or in doubt, don't do it. But if you want some advice, I would ask Don how to do it, or/and 'll be glad to help also. Again, fantastic find...................Rich

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Rich in Central PA said:
Well, as I was browsing through "Todays Finds" I see "1793 Chain Cent" and must offer my deepest congratulations on your find. It is the "holy grail" of early American coppas, as my buddies up there in Williamsport would say.

For your info, I did dig up 2 "1793 Chain Cents" in my 15 years of detecting, and I sent them in to ANACS to get authenticated, graded, and encapsulated. you can do this yourself without any "middle man" or any "hidden" charges.

I strongly recommend you clean that beauty up first, before you send it in, as I did, but be very careful in how you do it.

If you are not sure how to clean it, or in doubt, don't do it. But if you want some advice, I would ask Don how to do it, or/and 'll be glad to help also. Again, fantastic find...................Rich

I was waiting patiently for your reply, Rich! I am still :notworthy: to those TWO Chain cents that you dug! :notworthy:

Kyle

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
jfx55 said:
Bertman said:

HH Robert thank you all very much-! i not sure what i will due as far as cleaning it up more. but i can say its not going to be sold.

Amen to that. :thumbsup: I, too, probably would not sell either.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Cool. But you know your find brings down the value - supply and demand. There is more supply now. :thumbsup: ;D :D Yeah, like one would make a difference.

Very sweet coin. I think you even topped Hogge's find. Sorry Hogge but King of the Hill is a flash in the pan but I could use a flash in the pan right now. ;D 8)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Colonial Zoyboy said:
jfx55 said:
Bertman said:

Amen to that. :thumbsup: I, too, probably would not sell either.

I would say, whatever you do with it, cough up the scratch to have a pro clean it. I know some here are very knowledgeable on cleaning coppers but the problem is that the coin is potentially a 60,000 dollar coin (redbook vf40 2008 value of the rare variety). Take it to a coin shop just to get the dirt off so you know exactly what that coin is, then send it off to a service for preservation and slabbing. If you DIY that cleaning and mess it up, you are potentially out 67,000 bucks, and are at least out 2300 bucks (redbook g3 2008 value of common variety). On the other hand, if the pros screw it up, they have insurance...and you can sue them for it's value and buy a new one...you should also put it on your homeowners insurance, especially if it's the 60,000 dollar variety.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Derek752 said:
Hey JFX ... you hit the Chain Cent lottery twice ! YES...You found a chain cent AND it doesnt have a hole drilled in it !

Had I found it it would have 6 holes drilled in it PLUS initials carved in it :laughing9:

Congrats again :icon_salut:

Derek :tongue3:

D. Dude, if I had found it, it would be cut in half...and bent at a right angle...and with 1793 holes punched through it. :D :D :D

D. Dude, you are bound to find one in your neck of the Colonial hunting country. Heck, you got a mint state 1797 Flowing Hair half dime! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I still can't stop :notworthy: to that find! :notworthy:

Kyle

Yes the 1797 half dime was sweet ! Just lying there on the ground , only having to pick it up ... I have no doubt Kyle the finder of colonial relics and coinage sought after by all datectorists WILL make the find of a life time coppa and / or wilver !! Maybe this coming fall :thumbsup:

I hope we do find a chain largie minus any holes or right angle bends ;D - Again SUPER congrats to jfx55

D.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this, first words outta my mouth, Banner! Congrates, on the find, and The Banner! Can't wait to see it cleaned up, but be careful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread