🥇 BANNER I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT-! chain-cent 1793.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this on saturday at a stone foundation near a old well opening in the woods. when i dug it it looked kinda fat.(thick) and on sunday got around to cleaning it up and this is it-! man its like hitting the lottery-!!. all the large cents i found over the years never thought i find one of these.

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 11,106
Upvote 4

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC find! :o Many congrats!!!!! 8)

Nana :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Central PA said:
Well, as I was browsing through "Todays Finds" I see "1793 Chain Cent" and must offer my deepest congratulations on your find. It is the "holy grail" of early American coppas, as my buddies up there in Williamsport would say.

For your info, I did dig up 2 "1793 Chain Cents" in my 15 years of detecting, and I sent them in to ANACS to get authenticated, graded, and encapsulated. you can do this yourself without any "middle man" or any "hidden" charges.

I strongly recommend you clean that beauty up first, before you send it in, as I did, but be very careful in how you do it.

If you are not sure how to clean it, or in doubt, don't do it. But if you want some advice, I would ask Don how to do it, or/and 'll be glad to help also. Again, fantastic find...................Rich

From looking at the picture it looks like a very tough case for cleaning. I hope I'm wrong, but it appears to be the very tough rock hard crud that will not come off without hurting the coin. I have had a little success soaking many many times in peroxide but when done in such a great number I feel there is some risk to the coin.

If it were mine I would probably try the peroxide 2-3 times keeping a close eye, then when it would clean no more an olive oil soak and wipe a little green off with paper towel every few months. The only thing I'm happy about in not finding that coin is not having to make the tough choices of what to do.

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Wow, I'm gone for a few days and this is what pops up! Truely speechless. Looks like you've got some decesion making to do. Best of luck and please keep us updated. These kind of finds are what inspire us all to keep at it.

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jfx55 said:
found this on saturday at a stone foundation near a old well opening in the woods. when i dug it it looked kinda fat.(thick) and on sunday got around to cleaning it up and this is it-! man its like hitting the lottery-!!. all the large cents i found over the years never thought i find one of these.
thank again to all-! ( thanks don nj) will see.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Absolute dream find!! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Steve

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking the other day about large coppers on the banner. Of the 151 banner posts, only 8 of them are solely related to large copper finds.....and one or two more related to coppers along with a few other finds. A ratio of 8/151 says to me that you need to make an incredible large copper find to make the banner....and this certainly qualifies....to say the least. Let's get a few more coppers up there on the banner this fall folks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Happy copper hunting to everyone. :D

Rob

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
OMG!!! Unbelievable. I can't even imagine finding something like that. I can at least live vicariously through your post.

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Baldinboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Sorry, but I had to bump this one back up to the top at least one more time. Jfx55, I hope you dig 10 more, buddy! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I still say no matter the experience of the person cleaning that coin, it should be done by a pro b/c if something goes wrong at least you have recourse. If you DIY it and give it even a hint of a problem, it will be worthless.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant believe I didn't see this yet, Awesome truly awesome find I think that's one of everybody dream finds, congrats on a superb find, That gives me hope theres more out there maybe I will get one someday. HH!

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
:icon_sunny: absolutely awesome, amazing , incredible, stupendous, holy friggin , happy dance find of a lifetime you are the man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread