What's new

I think a new rule needs to be added to the official CRH list!!!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
7,452
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chicago IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER VOTE FOR THE BANNER FOR CRH FINDS!!!!!!

Now lots of people are gonna try it that would of never thought of it before.
 
Upvote 0
jim4silver said:
af1733 said:
quick-silver said:
hasnt that been an unwritten rule on here for a long time anyways? i thought we solved this problem after that guy found the gold coin in the nickel roll?
Obviously not, as you can see from the banner right now.

What everyone seems to be forgetting here is that the Member Finds banner comes from member votes. If other T'Net members feel that a CRHing find is worthy to be on the banner, then it will end up there. These posts crying that finds from rolls don't belong on the banner are pretty darn rude if you want the truth.

If a member decides that he or she wants to share with us a find made while CRHing, and it later gets nominated for the banner, it's not the fault of the original poster. They were just excited about a find and wanted to tell others who share thier passion about it. All threads like this serve to do is drive people away from this site. Is that really what you want?

If that's your goal here, to lower the population of TreasureNet, then you could always cancel your own account. Just a suggestion....


I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone is trying to lower the population of this website, but instead are trying to not encourage future CRHers. There is a distinction between the two.

Jim
It may not have been the original intention, but it could very easily be the end result.

And why not encourage CRHing? Because one person honestly thinks they can suck up all the silver in their city/county/state? Really?? Do you take the same approach to metal detecting, discouraging all those interested because you think you can dig it all up yourself?

And does anyone here honestly think that this is the only website on the planet that has discovered this phenomena? Quick google search, COIN ROLL HUNTING..... 40,600 hits. COIN ROLL SEARCHING.... 472,000 hits!

Oops! Turns out people already know about it. It's in Wikipedia for Pete's sake!

Look, all I'm saying here is that there's no need to go bashing someone's finds to discourage CRHing. Do you really think that if the find isn't on the banner, that the topic can't be found on this site?
 
ivan salis said:
by and large those savvy enough to be scouring this web site / forum --CHR ing are already hunting --its telling locals in your area that can really kill your finds -- your bragging slits your own throat finds wize because you make your own "competitors" right where you live.
If people choose to post their finds, it's affecting them, not the hobby as a whole. CRHing isn't a secret anymore than metal detecting is. I was doing it at 9 or 10 before I ever knew it had a name.

But, and be honest here, who do you know that has the time and resources to drive across the country to go snipe someone's hunting grounds? If it was one town away, maybe, but I wouldn't take the time to even look at where the person's from that generated the post.

Can't we just say "Nice find!" and be done with it? Why all the animosity?
 
TreasureFiend said:
NEVER VOTE FOR THE BANNER FOR CRH FINDS!!!!!!

Now lots of people are gonna try it that would of never thought of it before.

Agreed!

Who voted??? That's insane!!!
 
Yinzi50 said:
TreasureFiend said:
NEVER VOTE FOR THE BANNER FOR CRH FINDS!!!!!!

Now lots of people are gonna try it that would of never thought of it before.

Agreed!

Who voted??? That's insane!!!
You too?!? Just because it's on the banner?

Here's an idea! There's an entire section on this site dedicated to CRHing. Let's get rid of it! If someone brings it up in a different post somewhere, better yank that guy's membership! There's about half-a-million other sites out there that speak about it. Who's going to be ther first in line to start e-mailing them??

Wait, the coin rolls themselves might encourage this activity! Burn them!!!

I didn't discover CRHing from this site, and I imagine there's a ton of other folks that can say the same. Anyone that did discover it here, please raise your hands??

Jeeze, you guys would be the first in line in Salem, Mass to drown the witches about 400 years ago, huh?
 
nyiangelo said:
It's not the first time that it's happened so why does it matter? People on this website would be doing it already by just looking at this forum. Who cares. I say congrats to you for making the banner.
Thank you!! Finally another voice of reason!
 
af1733 said:
Oops! Turns out people already know about it. It's in Wikipedia for Pete's sake!
Yes it is, but is it correct? I have not read it in a while. There were inconsistencies in it, I updated it and told some truths. I guess someone didn't like it and they deleted my entry. So they can visit :blob8:
 
cyberdan said:
af1733 said:
Oops! Turns out people already know about it. It's in Wikipedia for Pete's sake!
Yes it is, but is it correct? I have not read it in a while. There were inconsistencies in it, I updated it and told some truths. I guess someone didn't like it and they deleted my entry. So they can visit :blob8:
Don't know if it's right or not, but it's there for anyone to read. I should check it out. Sorry about the deletion, promise I didn't do it. :)
 
Here's what it has now. Looks like whoever wrote it reads this site!

Coin roll hunting (often abbreviated "CRH") is the hobby of searching change pulled from circulation for collectible coins. The serious hobbyist usually obtains his coins from banks in the form of rolled coins.

Coin roll hunters obtain -- in the U.S., rolls of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, and sometimes dollars. They may also ask bank tellers if they have any old currency set aside. Hunters open the rolls and search for old or collectible coins to save for a collection or to sell for profit. They then return the unwanted coins, referred to as "rejects" or "dumps", to another bank. It is considered poor etiquette by CRH'ers to return rejects to the same bank they were picked up from. If a batch of coins contains nothing of interest, the hunter says he has "been skunked".

There are three main objectives of coin roll hunters; sorting for composition, variety, and sets. Composition hunters hunt for precious metals (usually silver, sometimes copper). Variety hunters search for mint errors. Set hunters attempt to complete sets of a specific type of coin.

Prime targets of American coin roll hunters are silver dimes and quarters made before 1965, and silver half dollars from 1970 and earlier. Nickels are searched for silver "war nickels" (1942-1945) and older discontinued designs. Pennies are searched for wheat pennies (1909-1958) and the rare Indian Head penny (1859-1908). Some penny searchers save copper Lincoln Memorial cents (1959-1982), for the growing value as copper bullion. An occasional dime can also be found in penny rolls, giving the collector an instant bonus. The most common coin searched is the half dollar because of its low circulation volume. Since the coins have little or no turnover from hand to hand, they have been the best denomination choice for finding old and rare types. The half dollars from 1964 and earlier are composed of 90% silver, and the ones minted from 1965 through 1970 are 40% silver by composition. Silver prices rose dramatically in 2006, making 90% silver coins worth about 8 to 10 times their face value. Toughening economic conditions have caused people to deposit long-held stashes of coins at banks, unaware of their value as collectibles.
 
thats the hobby in a nut shell
 
TreasureFiend said:
NEVER VOTE FOR THE BANNER FOR CRH FINDS!!!!!!

Now lots of people are gonna try it that would of never thought of it before.

Seems many of the replies are off base, since the intent of TreasureFiend's original post for "never vote for the banner CRH finds" was because it will draw more attention to CRH, not because it is on the banner.

It is the same as a news story about the cost of gold and people running out buying detectors thinking all they have to do is turn on the detector and scoop up the gold, only to find out it's not that easy, requires time, skill and work and lose interest quickly. How many thousands of dollars do CRH people go through before finding such a find................. :dontknow: I bet it is a lot.....
 
af1733 said:
Yinzi50 said:
TreasureFiend said:
NEVER VOTE FOR THE BANNER FOR CRH FINDS!!!!!!

Now lots of people are gonna try it that would of never thought of it before.

Agreed!

Who voted??? That's insane!!!
You too?!? Just because it's on the banner?

Here's an idea! There's an entire section on this site dedicated to CRHing. Let's get rid of it! If someone brings it up in a different post somewhere, better yank that guy's membership! There's about half-a-million other sites out there that speak about it. Who's going to be ther first in line to start e-mailing them??

Wait, the coin rolls themselves might encourage this activity! Burn them!!!

I didn't discover CRHing from this site, and I imagine there's a ton of other folks that can say the same. Anyone that did discover it here, please raise your hands??

Jeeze, you guys would be the first in line in Salem, Mass to drown the witches about 400 years ago, huh?

No, me three!! I think there was at least one person agreed before me.

Yes, the reason I don't like it because it is on the banner.

There are a few other sites talking about CRHing but members of those sites are mainly coin collectors. The number of members is much smaller than this one. A banner on this site will draw so many new guys to try it. In a fix area, the more CRHers the less each one individual can find. Coins are not fish, they don't lay eggs and multiply. So a "sane" person will not advertise his/her hobby on mass scale, such as, voting banner on a major CRH score right here. Many CRHers keep this hobby as "personal contact" hobby. You only tell your spouse, best friend, people in a very small circle. One of my best friend told me about CRH when I started collecting coins. None of my co-workers know I have this hobbly.

Will you be sad when you go to a bank for rolls and the teller tells you that 5 people ask already today?
Will you be angry that some greedy silver-seekers dump 5k of halves to a branch just to break the coin-machine so the bank refuse any large amount of coins including dime and penny?
Will you be frustrated if you have months of skunk boxes?

If you voted banner, you can't be bothered if above situations happen to you.

I called it an "insane behavior" not because I want to show that I knows better. It's because you not only hurt your own interest by increasing CRH activity in your own area but also hurt my interest and other CRHers by awakening/encouraging people in other cities. As an adult, you are entitled to do any crazy things as long as not hurting other people's interest. Otherwise, you will be called out, criticized.

This site exists as a platform between CRHers so we don't have to tell everyone around us (human nature to share feelings). I am truly happy for other CRHer's big score and want to show some of my finds too (1913 India One Rupee, for example). Why do we want this site to shut down? I appreciate this forum but I don't want to tell ABC or Fox or TMZ that everyone should join me for free silver!!!
 
This isn't like GS's roadtrip (Which was awesome! Not taking anything away here!) This is like $4,000. Everyone will be doing this now. I must agree with people and say no more banner. :-\
 
First let me thank maine_Jim for posting this story WITH PICS i love hearing of these great stories i CRH as a kid and tried to get back into but it is hard work and takes a huge investment of time.

This is a treasure hunting forum and i do not think that any one here on the whole forum is blind to the fact of CRH you think that people don't check the change from the store and pull silver or wheats or anything that they find interesting.

one or two trips to the bank and they would give up on it these hoards are not all to common as the old pros on here will tell you hence why it takes a lot of effort, research, and MONEY to even do this hobby.

This should not entice anyone to move in on your ground heck a lot of people on this forum i doubt live in your area.

remove the greed from your hearts and allow yourself to be thankful of the many people on just this forum that have made your hunts more prosperous.

Thank Again maine_Jim for your post
I truly enjoyed reading about your great find
 
The problem with all this "unwanted" attention is common sense does NOT abound. How many newbies in the last year thought there was nothing wrong with dumping the clad back where they bought the coin? More than a few.
Happened to me right after I started, my dad told his brother who promptly ordered a box. When he went to get it he could only afford half so he took it and searched it- found (1) 40% then took the clad back and tried to exchange it for the other half. Needless to say when I went in and tried to buy the searched and unsearched it was a no go, and that was back when it was easy to get a bank to order.
This is also why we don't advertise where we live. Older posters have changed names and or stopped posting finds, not because we quit. Competition is already fierce here, I know of at least 10 other guys actively ordering boxes and I know they have heard of me.
Anyways thats my take, HH Mark
 
Anyway you slice it, I am still out hunting and I am still finding silver. The day it stops ,which remains to seem far off in the future; I will move on. Two years ago we had similar arguments and I have seen large score after large score still happening. Learn to be thankful with much or little and you will enjoy the hobbie and life a lot more. A lot of the guys that were around when I made banner did not respond in the way that many guys are to maine Jim. The response was, as I think it should be a lot of pats on the back and congratulations. As I said when I made banner, that my find goes to show that the big score that you think will never happen to you most certainly will if you give it time. Before it happened to me I thought it would never happen and that the silver would dry up. That is my speel. Good luck and happy hunting.

Golden Silver
 
Well I hate to drag this one back to the top as I see it as a silly thread. But I was at the bookstore last night and picked up a magazine called "Coins". Well sure enough they have there own little section in there talking about CRH with different peoples experiences. Me thinks that it's really only local competition that will bother you. I have some and we both order boxes and are all successfull. There's probably a lot of hunters out there. Most won't last forever as we've seen here. I think two of the biggest +'s in CRH are luck and having enough capital. Which both are hard to come buy.
 
I get a kick out of reading as seeing photos of other peoples scores. In fact, it's almost as good as finding it myself.
I don't keep coin roll hunting a secret among family or friends. Besides ScoobaSteve, they all think It's a foolish hobby.
I'm not interested myself in banners,but I'm in favor of handing them out to those that deserve them.
Our finds that we post are not going to attract competition.
CRH is an oddball type of a hobby, kind of like collecting matchbooks, old firecracker labels,butterflies, etc.
I just don't see millions of people attracted to this hobby even if silver was $50.00 an oz.

In my humble opinion, all you Ebenezer's out there that are against giving a tip of the hat to those that bring in the big scores , are a bunch of greedy cheapskates.
HH
Rich
 
This is the great conundrum we face in wanting to share the excitement of a great find with everyone who actually knows how we feel when the Treasure we have searched for is found. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot? There are treasure hunters and there are wannabees that don't have the perseverance to wait for that wonderful find. I think most people in our drive thru age don't have the patience to keep going on the meagre finds that are the norm. Most of us who have done this for quite awhile share a common bond that the world thinks is nuts. There's no feeling in the world like striking the motherlode. I think perhaps that sharing the find with people that understand our passion is almost as important as the find itself.
 
I say we all dust off our metal detectors and get out and find some banner worthy things to bump that photo right off the end!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom