I Think I Found the Pewter Handle to a Really Old Walking Stick!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the woods today searching for that last piece of my shoe buckle. Didn't find it, but I did find something really different. I'm not positive, but I think it's the handle to a very old walking stick! It's made of pewter and is hollow, but solid and sturdy. Very ornate with a tiny hole on the side where I think you would nail a brad into the wood to hold it in place.

I could be way off on this one, so let me know what you think. No matter what it is, this relic is really cool!

Here's a few pics:

DSC07478.JPGDSC07480.JPGDSC07481.JPGDSC07482.JPGDSC07483.JPGDSC07484.JPG

Upvote 24
That's very cool!
I agree that it's a cane top. And it looks pretty old. Nice find.

HH, RN

That is a very cool find-and it looks like a cap to a walking stick. With it being pewter I would imagine that it is very old-possibly 18th century. Congrats!

FTB WALKING STICK CAP ID SAY ALSO..

sweet find keep digging

Damn man that's a really killer early relic that you will rarely ever see. I'm in love with it man

Damn man that's a really killer early relic that you will rarely ever see. I'm in love with it man

Wow, now I'm really liking this relic! I didn't know what it was when I dug it, but I spotted the tiny hole after I rinsed it off. That was the clue that did it for me. Reminded me of the hole they have in ox knobs. Knew it must have been for a brad to hold it in place.

I tried to find one with a Google search, but no luck. I did notice that a lot of the older ones are silver. Too bad mine's only pewter, but still a very good find for me.

silver or not, that is one very cool find. you may have to get some exotic wood for it to be complete. wonder what else you are going to find at that spot

That's one fantastic looking relic, it'll look great in any display-on the top shelf btw. Congrats

Awesome find- I think you've ID'd it right, IMHO- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Sweet find. It looks early to me.

Sweet find. It looks early to me

Could be colonial, since I've found a KG copper at this spot, as well as my shoe buckle. Even if it isn't that old, it definitely wasn't mass produced. I gave myself a headache trying to find a match for it online tonight. Nothing even close so far.

the only thing I can say is, if I made that, I would have put the brad hole down toward the bottom

That's awesome!! Well done!!
Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back