I Think I Set A New Personal Record

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
19 wheat pennies without finding a single silver coin. I did some serious digging today and I went back over the site several times using the CTX and Deus. There was no shade and it was hot, but I just knew finding that many wheat pennies I needed to keep digging because sooner or later I was going to get my search coil over some silver. NOPE!

I started the day off detecting at a site where I had previously found numerous silver coins. Right off I found some type of meter cover and showed it to the old man sitting on the porch. He asked if I wanted him to take inside and wash it off for me, so we could read what's on it.

While he was inside the house I noticed a lady across the street was taking her dog for a walk before she left for work. Her car was parked on the street so I worked my way down towards the street with my detector. As she was heading for her car, I said good morning and asked her if it would be alright if I detected her yard. I guess she has seen me detecting other yards up and down the street, because didn't hesitate when said it would be alright.

Even though I didn't find any silver I did manage to find a Buffalo nickel, 19 wheat pennies, a transit token, a dollar coin, a car token and bunch of clad. I'll be resting up before I head back out into the heat again. Plus we need some rain to soften the ground. Lucky for me today most of the coins were really shallow. Some of the wheat pennies were only an inch or two deep.

PS: This would have been the perfect day for me to use the HF search coil on my Deus, but I left it at home. The AC window unit at the site was causing severe EMI problems for both the Deus and CTX. I bet that the 28kHz would have been super smooth. I'm going hit that site again to see how it fairs.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 22

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Great day.Congrats :occasion14:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow, that's a haul. I think my personal record (across several hunts) is 44 Wheats with no silver. I almost hit 40 this year. Then bam, you'll hit 3 out of nowhere. Nice going. Buffalo nickels always make my day.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love weird stuff like that heavy duty meter cover.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Some cool finds.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the silver will show up soon

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's a haul. I think my personal record (across several hunts) is 44 Wheats with no silver. I almost hit 40 this year. Then bam, you'll hit 3 out of nowhere. Nice going. Buffalo nickels always make my day.
That's exactly how it goes for me too. I hate those long stretches!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Tabman. I have found a couple of those Pontiac tokens. They are from the 1950's.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A whole lot of nice finds. Congrats!
Thanks! I dug just about anything that beeped because I was in an older area.

Thanks! I've had days where I found more silver coins than wheat pennies. You just never know what fate is going to dish out.

I love weird stuff like that heavy duty meter cover.
Thanks! People actually pay money for these covers. I just checked on eBay.

Some cool finds.
Thanks! I always find unusual stuff when I decide to dig it all.

Nice finds, the silver will show up soon
Thanks! If it hadn't been so hot, I'd hung in there longer. Also the EMI from that window unit was driving me crazy. I can't wait to go back with the Deus HF search coil using 28kHz. I bet that it will totally eliminate the EMI noise in my headphone.

That's exactly how it goes for me too. I hate those long stretches!
Lets not be talking about long stretches. Me not finding a silver coin on a hunt is a big deal to me. LOL

Wow, that's a haul! Congrats on a great day:icon_thumright:
Thanks! I had a great time, except for the heat and the EMI from that damn window unit.

Nice finds Tabman. I have found a couple of those Pontiac tokens. They are from the 1950's.
Thanks! That's strange that they're from the fifties. How did they know about how great the GTO was going to be in the sixties? lol

tabman

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a lot of digging, nice finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions