What's new

I think Im missing things with my Garrett 250

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bev
  • Start date Start date
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

Bev, It's not you, it's not your detector, it's the area you are hunting. Look at your finds. They have been in the ground a long time. Getting something good out of there is like getting blood from a turnip. A beech with shops across from a boardwalk would be a great producer, but that area defies the law of provability. Look around, your surrounded by ocean!
​
 
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

I wish I had all the pull tabs I've dug up over the years.....only pictures could describe the magnitude.
 
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

For an area with lots of targets like that beach I highly recommend you get a 4.5" sniper coil for your Ace 250. You'll be amazed at how much more accurate your target id will be, and you can find the good stuff tucked right up against the trash.
 
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

Bev, I just ordered a 250 because my whites Spectrum is great but due to my age it gets heavier every year. Now I will take two
MD'S and use the 250 to rest because I don't want to take a break, I may fall asleep or get a six pack and forget what I was doing.
I think you are doing great and you will get better, and one of these days that 250 will pay for its self over and over. Gnewt
 
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

I know from experience that the ace250 with the tiny stock coil is extremely limited on depth. Get an Excalibur for the beaches.

HH
 
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

Bev, one question I noticed nobody answered for you, Why do our quarters turn "RED"? Since 1965, american quarters are made of a sandwich of nickel/copper often called "cupro" shiney outside with copper core. When soil that quarter is buried in is moist most of the time or is fertilized, the copper will leach out and cause the quarter to turn red, same thing applies to some nickels. Also, if a quarter has been in a salt water tidal pool very long, the copper will disintegrate and leave razor sharp edges of the outer layer. Just my observations..........NGE
 
Re: I think I'm missing things with my Garrett 250

on some of the 1965 quarters the clad process did not do so well -- if dropped on a hard surface --like say cement-- the nickle outer coating -- just popped off -- i have found several outside nickle parts with the "sandwich" inner core copper ate away in acidic soil areas -- high iron content in soil can also make coins reddish if exposed for a good while.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom