Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the MD hobby came in handy again. I had to do some laundry but had no quarters. Then I remembered my MD clad stash and was able to grab 12 quarters and wash my clothes (nothing valuable of course).

I was happy 'cause it saved me a trip to get change. Plus technically, it was a free laundry job.

Upvote 0

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we rob mine to eat out

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out enough this year to rob mine.

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When my wife doesn't take my quarters to do the laundry I use them and the other change I find to buy my lottery tickets. Who knows, maybe one day I will win the lottery on found coins from the ground. LOL But then again, I have been playing for years and never won yet so there you are, in one hand and out the other.

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When my wife doesn't take my quarters to do the laundry I use them and the other change I find to buy my lottery tickets. Who knows, maybe one day I will win the lottery on found coins from the ground. LOL But then again, I have been playing for years and never won yet so there you are, in one hand and out the other.

That's a good idea!!!!! Save your change for lottery I should do that because i always end up usin my dollar bills lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just thinking. Whomever empties the coins from those machines is going to wonder where all of those dirty quarters came from.

I wonder if they'll be thinking something along the lines of, "these filthy things look like someone dug them out of a pile of dirt".

If they only knew.......

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you haven't found enough clad to at least pay for your batteries, you're not trying.
luvsdux

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was just thinking. Whomever empties the coins from those machines is going to wonder where all of those dirty quarters came from.

I wonder if they'll be thinking something along the lines of, "these filthy things look like someone dug them out of a pile of dirt".

If they only knew.......

This subject came up on a thread several years ago. Ie.: the brownish reddish discolored coins we "put back in circulation". And there was actually a few folks who had the opinion that this was bad for our hobby. That we need to clean them up first (tumble them? etc...). While others pointed out that vending machines (or coin-star machines, bank automated sorter machines, etc...) don't care about the color. So a debate broke out as to whether this was a "black-eye for the hobby", as .... it "might lead to people disliking md'rs", etc....

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If they only knew.......

Was eatting at Jimmy John's the other day and got dirty coins as change .....

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This subject came up on a thread several years ago. Ie.: the brownish reddish discolored coins we "put back in circulation". And there was actually a few folks who had the opinion that this was bad for our hobby. That we need to clean them up first (tumble them? etc...). While others pointed out that vending machines (or coin-star machines, bank automated sorter machines, etc...) don't care about the color. So a debate broke out as to whether this was a "black-eye for the hobby", as .... it "might lead to people disliking md'rs", etc....

Money is money as long as they are whole. Those new pennies seem to get ate up and some are only half left those may jam a machine or a counter

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wondering for a while how I can "spend" my corroding zinc before they disappear & turn to white powder.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes! great idea!
I once took my wife out to a burger joint and rented a video - "dinner and movies",
on the clad I had accumulated then.
I once in awhile see a black quarter in change, too!
Wonder who might have contributed that one, eh? :laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been wondering for a while how I can "spend" my corroding zinc before they disappear & turn to white powder.

If your Bank won't take rolled coins, see if you can find one that will, then roll them up with some better ones at the ends and take them to the Bank. Besides, Brinks or Loomis or whoever services the Bank, will pick them up and I am pretty sure they bad ones are culled out when they are counted and then sent to the U.S. Treasury. It beats sending them to the U.S. Treasury at your' cost for shipping, then waiting for who knows how long to get a check.

Frank

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put mine in drink and vending machines and then hit the coin return. Clean coins come right out...lol

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
And there was actually a few folks who had the opinion that this was bad for our hobby. That we need to clean them up first

Yup,I'll do that right away,hold on a second..............................................................:sign10:

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I put mine in drink and vending machines and then hit the coin return. Clean coins come right out...lol

I do that too, or If I'm buying something from the vending machine then I put in all the extra dirty coins and get clean ones back as change. I also just spend them at our cafeteria at work. they always laugh at me when I pay with my dirty change but accept it with no problems. I stopped cleaning them a long time ago.

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice tip! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

there is a way to reclaim mutilated money my bank will not take it but I have not searched for this option yet waiting until I have 5 pounds maybe in a week er two

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do that too, or If I'm buying something from the vending machine then I put in all the extra dirty coins and get clean ones back as change. I also just spend them at our cafeteria at work. they always laugh at me when I pay with my dirty change but accept it with no problems. I stopped cleaning them a long time ago.

When I returned from Russia last time I used all my Russian money for tips cause they felt like quarters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread