I want to fly like an eagle...

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
081714FEF.jpg 081714FEB.jpg

Just got done complaining to JMastny78 that I wasn't pulling any Indian Head Pennies out of an area that I thought should produce some. Then I pull this beauty! Great Detail!:headbang:
Better than an Indian Head! And still managed to graze it with the digger.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Dig hundreds of pull tab signals and just get into the habit of digging everything like it is a pull tab.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: This rang in as a solid 63 on the AT Pro.

081714IHF.jpg 081714IHB.jpg

Did add a nice lookin' Indian before all was said and done.

081714VNF.jpg 081714VNB.jpg

And one rough V nickel. Actually it is a smooth V nickel...VERY smooth V nickel.:laughing7:

WE081714.jpg

Weekend Finds...

1857 Flying Eagle Cent
1890 Indian Head Penny
1891 V Nickel
(5) Wheatbacks...1920, 1925, 1940, 1941, 1947-D.

PBS

Upvote 26
OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't see too many of the flying cents being found.Pretty valuable pennies.Be sure to post that 1856 when you find it:icon_thumleft:

I'll surely post an 1856. Can hold out hope, but have only come across four or five of these eagle cents. Closest I've come to such an obscure find is the "cryer" I found in a tear out in my home town a few years ago. Doesn't even qualify for "good" condition.
Cryer.jpg

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a sweet flying eagle! Never seen one before so thanks for showing me my first...now I want to find one!!! Lol good hunt and see ya out there again soon! HH

Have to it hard over the next couple weeks! It's on it's way out.

PBS

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the kind words!

PBS

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the BEST condition Flying Eagles I've ever seen posted on the forum. Congrats! I've dug three of those in 22 years, and all of them were crusty, unattractive specimens.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been metal detecting for 35 years and that is far and away the nicest flying eagle cent I've ever seen come out of the ground. That's a banner coin!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds. Congrats on the Flying Eagle... just spectacular. GL&HH.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That flying eagle is something special. They do get periodically posted, but not with the great surfaces and the detail on your coin. Way to go!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice detail on the flying eagle and the IH,must be some sweet soil there! :thumbsup:

Hondo

Jul 1, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beautiful!!!! Sweet save and a rare dig too! Awesome day!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Nice flying eagle! Found my first a couple weeks ago, not in that nice of condition though. Still happy to mark it off my wish list. HH!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find in excellent condition. Saw quite a few FE cents at the coin show in January, but all were 1857 & 1858. One of the dealers had a 1856, but had sold it before the show. Congratulations.

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one of the BEST condition Flying Eagles I've ever seen posted on the forum. Congrats! I've dug three of those in 22 years, and all of them were crusty, unattractive specimens.

Thanks BB. I have a number of old pennies (IHPs) that I have found that are in excellent condition (and plenty of crappy ones too). Not sure if that is typical in other locations. But it seems to me that when I find one in beautiful condition, I generally pull it out of sandy soil. Perhaps it is because sand drains better...therefore less time in a damp environ?:dontknow:
Michigan offers plenty of locations with sandy soil.

PBS

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Sad to say, was just down at the tear out today and they have already poured and set the curbs all the way down to the school. :( the town posted that the remaining two blocks will be torn out and worked on after school starts. Still some real estate to hunt before its all done! See ya out there!

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's a lot nicer than the 1858 I dug about a month ago. Congratulation!

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad to say, was just down at the tear out today and they have already poured and set the curbs all the way down to the school. :( the town posted that the remaining two blocks will be torn out and worked on after school starts. Still some real estate to hunt before its all done! See ya out there!

They graded the area where they brought in all the sand. So they are "re-opening" some areas that are worth checking. But the window is closing fast! Get out there if you can. I'm trying to get out some evenings, though that's a challenge for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread