tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i was diggin in my yard today becuase I was putting up cool retaining wall around this tree so we can plant some phlox. I'm digging and digging, trying to make the blocks level to one another and I come up on a large amount of what looks like quartz stone. These two are just ones that I grabbed quickly. There are still so many more that I have washed into like two fistfull piles. Anywho, I am going to a gemologist here in town to let me know exactly what it is. What do you guys think?:zoom:
IMG_1286.JPG

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Milk Quartz

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these a light pink - rose quartz ? They are not precious- but I've always loved collecting rocks, fossils , gems , gold panning
arrowheads - all of it - I grew up in Montana - a rock hound heaven !

OP
OP
T

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the total of what I found. Various sizes and dirtness. I just tried to clean them up with water. The small sifter is to show the size of the pile. Equal to the circumference of a soda can. IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1289.JPG

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
hmm...... I don't know everything (ha! ha!), but my guess is that it's plain quartz which has been deliberately crushed by modern humans -- these small fragments seem to have too many sharp edges to show natural weathering .... hope I'm wrong and let us know what you find out. Andi

OP
OP
T

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its just plain odd that this was right next to my tree by our sidewalk. It's weird.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its just plain odd that this was right next to my tree by our sidewalk. It's weird.

Hello tannerhatley, It was/ is common for a sidewalk to be bordered by quartz/ or other crushed rock. This gives a transition area between the concrete and the grass- more pleasing to the eye. You might try moving down the sidewalk 3' or 4' and try digging a test hole to see if you find similar rocks? Just a suggestion/ possibility.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello tannerhatley, It was/ is common for a sidewalk to be bordered by quartz/ or other crushed rock. This gives a transition area between the concrete and the grass- more pleasing to the eye. You might try moving down the sidewalk 3' or 4' and try digging a test hole to see if you find similar rocks? Just a suggestion/ possibility.

That's hit the nail right on the head, white 1/4" crushed quartz sells for $275 a ton.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread