I was outbid on this coin heehee ya right !!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a beauty i wonder if it is possible to dig a coin like that a silver dollar, there must be some in the ground somewhere :dontknow: i don't know how many where even minted . Nice to look at and have the money to even bid on a coin like this . Maybe one day . Dd60
Bidding Closed:
Final Bid: $1,207,500* :o

http://www.bowersandmerena.com/auctions/auctionlot.aspx?lotid=75691

Attachments

• 5C64187_01.jpg
    5C64187_01.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 598
  • 5C64187_02.jpg
    5C64187_02.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 602
if you dug it, theres almost no way it would be in this great shape =)

alpha105 said:
If you look close you can see lots of wear scratches and you cant even classifies it as un circulated but yet it still went for big bucks i can only imagine what a MS 65 + goes for

Beautiful coin, but I have to say that eagle design leaves alot to be desired! Maybe it's a bald eagle/turkey cross? ffd

Thats a beauty for sure. Only 1,758 minted. So if there are any in the ground there isnt many. I would love to find one though. :icon_pirat:

Deepdiger60 said:
alpha105 said:
If you look close you can see lots of wear scratches and you cant even classifies it as un circulated but yet it still went for big bucks i can only imagine what a MS 65 + goes for

what you are calling wear scratches are actually adjustment marks. The weight of the each planchet was dictated by law and if a planchet was overweight it was filed down to the proper weight before striking the coin. The weakness in the letters of the reverse is a striking problem due to the type of coining press being used and the size of the coin.

This coin is graded MS 64

This is a great coin. And I think warrents the MS-64 grade. There's a good chance you will never see another that will grade that high.

mainer said:
This is a great coin. And I think warrents the MS-64 grade. There's a good chance you will never see another that will grade that high.

There are 6 1794 dollars known to exist in mint state. The reason this one became available is because the owner obtained the finest known example in May, 2010 for the sum of 7.85 million $. That one grades SP66.

I was privileged to see the SP66 example when it was displayed at the ANA show in Portland a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful coin :icon_thumleft:

waseeker said:
mainer said:

There are 6 1794 dollars known to exist in mint state. The reason this one became available is because the owner obtained the finest known example in May, 2010 for the sum of 7.85 million $. That one grades SP66.

I was privileged to see the SP66 example when it was displayed at the ANA show in Portland a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful coin :icon_thumleft:

I can only imagine what that one looks like. :wink: This is one of the best coins ever made in my opinion. A lot of history behind it. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back