What's new

I was wondering what is more rare??

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
8,006
Reaction score
899
Golden Thread
0
Location
Location: Undisclosed
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, :D

What do you think is a more rare find in coin roll hunting? :icon_scratch: The Walking Half from half dollar rolls, or the Mercury Dime from dime rolls? ???

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D
 

Attachments

  • friend 002.webp
    friend 002.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Pat1 009.webp
    Pat1 009.webp
    14 KB · Views: 399
  • friend 002.webp
    friend 002.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Pat1 009.webp
    Pat1 009.webp
    14 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0
Opinions will differ, i'm sure. Last year I found only 2 WL, but about 15 mercs. Then again, I may have hit the dimes harder at times. So far this year, 8 mercs, and I've searched more $ in halves then dimes.
 
I think Mercs are more rare. I have found both, but my dime hunting has been very limited. Early in my CRHing career I found a decent amount of Walkers.

Since halves are not circulated, I think you will find more Walkers in hunting boxes.

Most people who come across a Mercury dime in their change will keep it, even if they don't know exactly what it is worth. They would keep Walkers too, but since they don't get those in their change they will likely never see them unless they are CRHing or they get a collection from someone.

Jim
 
Absolutly the Mercury dimes are harder to come by.

If your asking between the 2 in your photo's Than the 1916 Merc is 100 times harder to find.

My opinion.

My Experience is that I've found lots of 1942 Walkers And no 1916 Merc's.

Mojo
 
MUD, is that your '16 merc, and if so, the D mint is VERY valuble. I dug one last fall and carefully washed it when I got home, but no such luck, a plain '16.
 
I have searched 4 times more halves than dimes this year. I have found 1 Mercury and NO Walkers. I do agree with Mojo on the statistical aspect of finding each, but this game is as much about luck as anything else.
 
Bank Runner said:
I have searched 4 times more halves than dimes this year. I have found 1 Mercury and NO Walkers. I do agree with Mojo on the statistical aspect of finding each, but this game is as much about luck as anything else.
But is it really luck? Some of us are consistently finding mercs, especially in the CWI boxes....I've been searching dimes for a year now, and I kind of expect to hit a merc out of every 3 or 4 boxes...i'm just not surprised any more. FFD
 
For me, they're both equally rare. I haven't seen a Walker in a long time and I'm not sure if I ever saw a 1916 Merc.
 
Currently I average 1 mercury every 25 ($6250) boxes and 1 WLH every 13.5 boxes ($6750). So I think it is pretty close to even.

HH,
65GT350
 
Well I started CRH'ng in September and this is what I found:

77 dimes boxes = 12 Mercs (oldest was a 1926)

89 half boxes = 7 Walkers (oldest was a 1918)
 
in a yr and 2 months ive found only 3 WL halves annd over 20 mercs. Sofor me its def the WL
 
Well there are 2500 Dimes in a $250 dime box and 1000 halves in a $500 Half dollar box.

There are 5000 Dimes for $500 a 5 /1 ratio Dimes to Halves.

The consenses on this board seems to be 1 silver per dime box and it seems pretty consistent.

The consenses on Half dollar boxes is that they are not consistant at all. It is not unusual to hear of anyone finding upwards of 50 keepers in a box.

But I hardly ever see Dime hoards being found. Much less Mercury's. Thats not saying they are not being found. Because many are finding them. But few a nd far between.

Now weather we are finding Walking Liberty's More than Merc's? I guess I'd have to admit that they are not common but are being found.

So I guess it could be equal. Since both were discontinued in the Mid 40's.

I primarily search halves but occasionally do dimes and have gotten only 1 or 2 merc's in CWI boxes. I have found more in hand rolls and Bag's.

My biggest Mercury Score was (4) in a 1k bag.

My biggest WL score was well over (161) in a sigle box and (31) in another.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,147287.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,162999.0.html

Mojo
 
So far for me this year:

Walkers: 39

Mercs: 0

? :icon_scratch: But like Bank Runner stated, I think luck usually plays a factor. A large number of my Walkers found this year were from one bag that I found on a road trip with Dandow20. But every year, my Walker counts are always higher than my Mercs. My guess is that dimes circulate more frequently than halves. So it puts that many more eyes on the dimes, eliminating more Mercs before they get the chance to reach us.

Good Luck!
cmhoose
 
It must be about 8 years ago or so,my nephew was working at a video store and called me up asking if he could borrow five bucks. I asked him why, and he told me he had broken up a roll of dimes and they were all mercs.
We split the roll.

In the 3 months I have been with this hobby I've gotten 9 WLH from hand rolls or loose and six mercs from boxes. I'd have to check my posts on how many dime boxes I've searched but I'd take a guess of between 20-30
 
I've found 1 Merc and 27 WL and I'd say it'd be easier to find WL than Mercs because halves are less circulated. Jim4Silver is right on...since dimes are more widely circulated, more people touch the dimes and any common person would think the Merc is at least cool looking and keep it. As for halves, less circulated, more silver, found in bunches from collection dump.

DD
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom