I wish all days were like this one!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Man did I have a good day! I got out to an older grove and after digging a couple of red Jeffersons, I was hot on the trail of a penny signal when I probed a target on the side of the hole. Turned out to be a '28 Merc. The penny was in there, too - a wheat. Well, I forgot my camera, so no dirt shots of it. :(

A little while later I got a sweet tone and pulled up an old Bell Trading Company sterling & turquoise ring. :) This looked like a good area, so I checked it real well. I got a good tone, but a large shallow target. I popped the dirt up with my digger and was looking at big silver that was 1 1/2 inches deep tops! Then I remembered my phone has a camera in it. :sign13:

Walker dirt.jpg

A '43 Walker. My first silver ever was a '43 Walker. I must have come full circle, Master. Ahh so you believe, grasshopper, but where is war nickel if circle complete? Hmmmm......

Two more items came out of that area, a silver plated religious medal and a sterling 5 way cross. I saw a used one for sale on line for almost $50 - not that it really means anything except that it makes me feel good about finding one. :)

Cross Medallion Small.jpg

It's funny how you can hunt and hunt and all of a sudden happen upon a hotspot in the middle of all the emptiness... :icon_scratch:

I moved to an open area and found a couple of Scout slides, one is an oldie. This area was pretty much clean of good signals. I was digging all the good sounding nickel signals and finding mostly pop tops and an occasional red Jeff. Then I saw it - a silver coin in my nickle hole. :o A '45 P! Not an outstanding find by most accounts, but after hunting all last year and this year without ever finding a single war nickle, I was elated. :) At first I thought I winged it because of the scratches, but I don't dig with anything that would make those fine lines. Close inspection shows that it was scratched before it was lost. Looks like someone tried to comb old Tom's hair with a steel comb!

War nickel Small.jpg

All in all it was a great day! Silver jewelry, a walker, a Merc, and a war nickel. The war nickel was silver #90 for the year. I'm glad that first is water under the bridge now!

Finds.jpg

Thanks for checking out my war nickel post! It was a long time coming! HH! :wink:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moley you had a good day! Big time congrats, especially on that war nickel. Welcome to the club. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
WTG, Neil! Now that was a great hunt. Congrats on finally getting your war nickle.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A winner!! Give that man a silver nickel. . . and a Walker, and a Merc,
and a ring, and a. . . never mind. . . just give him everything :tongue3:

What a hunt!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Holy Heck, what a hunt Neil! That ring is huge! Funny how you ID'd mine then find your own! WTG!
What can I say about that Walker, oh man!!! Still looking for my first. Nothing beats finding big silver.
I'm totally jealous..... ;D

Now those scratches on the nickel look like Tom was in a hurry trying to escape your clutches. :laughing7:
Guess you were too quick for him this time. Big congrats on your first war nickel. :thumbsup:
Great looking cross also, wow!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow congrats on a super day! VERY NICE WALKER INTEAD ! CONGRATS ON THE WAR NICKEL , NOW WE CAN'T TEASE YOU ANYMORE :tongue3:! SO IF WE FIND A WAR NICKEL, NOW WE CAN CALL IT ARE OWN! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Killer hunt Neal....a little bit of everything! :hello2: Congrats on the war nickel! Hit the place again....there are probably a dozen more waiting there for you!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
One huge honkin' good hunt Neil! I haven't found a war nickel for years. Found three of them once in a week, then nothing for a year or so. Never give them a thought anymore.

Hopefully you can get over this now and move on to pulltab counts!

Excellent hot spot!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
WINNER WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!!

Forget the Walker, DUUUUUDE, you FOUND A WAR NICKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((SCALPS SELF))

*** RUNNING AROUND WITH SCALPED SCALP IN HAND ***

"WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Congrats on throwing down on some crazy good finds Neil!

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - those are some sweet finds!
Congrats on finally breakin the war nickel barrier.
Now the flood gates will open!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Brett said:
WINNER WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!!

Forget the Walker, DUUUUUDE, you FOUND A WAR NICKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((SCALPS SELF))

*** RUNNING AROUND WITH SCALPED SCALP IN HAND ***

"WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Congrats on throwing down on some crazy good finds Neil!

Somebody's been spending too many hours at the office....

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG

It's about time......

I know where you'll be today.....

Whats next on your list......Gold Ring.....You search for that and you'll pull up 10 more War Nickels along the way....

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day buddy!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread