I wish all days were like this one!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Man did I have a good day! I got out to an older grove and after digging a couple of red Jeffersons, I was hot on the trail of a penny signal when I probed a target on the side of the hole. Turned out to be a '28 Merc. The penny was in there, too - a wheat. Well, I forgot my camera, so no dirt shots of it. :(

A little while later I got a sweet tone and pulled up an old Bell Trading Company sterling & turquoise ring. :) This looked like a good area, so I checked it real well. I got a good tone, but a large shallow target. I popped the dirt up with my digger and was looking at big silver that was 1 1/2 inches deep tops! Then I remembered my phone has a camera in it. :sign13:

Walker dirt.jpg

A '43 Walker. My first silver ever was a '43 Walker. I must have come full circle, Master. Ahh so you believe, grasshopper, but where is war nickel if circle complete? Hmmmm......

Two more items came out of that area, a silver plated religious medal and a sterling 5 way cross. I saw a used one for sale on line for almost $50 - not that it really means anything except that it makes me feel good about finding one. :)

Cross Medallion Small.jpg

It's funny how you can hunt and hunt and all of a sudden happen upon a hotspot in the middle of all the emptiness... :icon_scratch:

I moved to an open area and found a couple of Scout slides, one is an oldie. This area was pretty much clean of good signals. I was digging all the good sounding nickel signals and finding mostly pop tops and an occasional red Jeff. Then I saw it - a silver coin in my nickle hole. :o A '45 P! Not an outstanding find by most accounts, but after hunting all last year and this year without ever finding a single war nickle, I was elated. :) At first I thought I winged it because of the scratches, but I don't dig with anything that would make those fine lines. Close inspection shows that it was scratched before it was lost. Looks like someone tried to comb old Tom's hair with a steel comb!

War nickel Small.jpg

All in all it was a great day! Silver jewelry, a walker, a Merc, and a war nickel. The war nickel was silver #90 for the year. I'm glad that first is water under the bridge now!

Finds.jpg

Thanks for checking out my war nickel post! It was a long time coming! HH! :wink:

Holy Moley you had a good day! Big time congrats, especially on that war nickel. Welcome to the club. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WTG, Neil! Now that was a great hunt. Congrats on finally getting your war nickle.

A winner!! Give that man a silver nickel. . . and a Walker, and a Merc,
and a ring, and a. . . never mind. . . just give him everything :tongue3:

What a hunt!

Holy Heck, what a hunt Neil! That ring is huge! Funny how you ID'd mine then find your own! WTG!
What can I say about that Walker, oh man!!! Still looking for my first. Nothing beats finding big silver.
I'm totally jealous..... ;D

Now those scratches on the nickel look like Tom was in a hurry trying to escape your clutches. :laughing7:
Guess you were too quick for him this time. Big congrats on your first war nickel. :thumbsup:
Great looking cross also, wow!

wow congrats on a super day! VERY NICE WALKER INTEAD ! CONGRATS ON THE WAR NICKEL , NOW WE CAN'T TEASE YOU ANYMORE :tongue3:! SO IF WE FIND A WAR NICKEL, NOW WE CAN CALL IT ARE OWN! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Killer hunt Neal....a little bit of everything! :hello2: Congrats on the war nickel! Hit the place again....there are probably a dozen more waiting there for you!

One huge honkin' good hunt Neil! I haven't found a war nickel for years. Found three of them once in a week, then nothing for a year or so. Never give them a thought anymore.

Hopefully you can get over this now and move on to pulltab counts!

Excellent hot spot!

WINNER WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!!

Forget the Walker, DUUUUUDE, you FOUND A WAR NICKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((SCALPS SELF))

*** RUNNING AROUND WITH SCALPED SCALP IN HAND ***

"WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Congrats on throwing down on some crazy good finds Neil!

Wow - those are some sweet finds!
Congrats on finally breakin the war nickel barrier.
Now the flood gates will open!

Brett said:
WINNER WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!!

Forget the Walker, DUUUUUDE, you FOUND A WAR NICKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((SCALPS SELF))

*** RUNNING AROUND WITH SCALPED SCALP IN HAND ***

"WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Congrats on throwing down on some crazy good finds Neil!

Somebody's been spending too many hours at the office....

WTG

It's about time......

I know where you'll be today.....

Whats next on your list......Gold Ring.....You search for that and you'll pull up 10 more War Nickels along the way....

Awesome day buddy!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back