Ian - metal detecting?

Taboga

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth a 3 hour drive to scour the beaches and swing a detector down that way (sebastian/wabasso/vero)? The waves are supposed to be something fierce and wondering if itl strip enough sand away to make it worth swining the detector in 40mph winds and rain Fri/Sat
Follow this page for conditions and updates

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth a 3 hour drive to scour the beaches and swing a detector down that way (sebastian/wabasso/vero)? The waves are supposed to be something fierce and wondering if itl strip enough sand away to make it worth swining the detector in 40mph winds and rain Fri/Sat

It depends, many times the waves do not strip sand from the beaches, instead it adds sand to the beach. Also depending on conditions they close down access to the treasure beaches so you have to be there before they lock the access to the beaches.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its worth a try I travel 3 hours all the time looking for Gold. You might get lucky IF & When there is a low tide :)

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Been there, done that. Last time I went to the beach after a hurricane there must have been 150-200 people with detectors on the east coast beaches

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that. Last time I went to the beach after a hurricane there must have been 150-200 people with detectors on the east coast beaches
That all depends on what the 150-200 people are looking for. A lot of guys have their M.D.s set to disregard iron & trash.
I say,if it makes noise....Dig it :)!
Found these two beauties two years ago on the Treasure coast a foot down mixed in with some old Iron pieces.:)
Ya never know, unless ya dig it. And yes, two jewelry stores say they are real :headbang:
097.JPG
582.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They probably won't let you on the west coast. What's left of it. they said 12-18' storm surge. And yes I know Sebastian is on the eastern coast.

Bamasteve

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2022
Very far north of where I’d rather be
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Garrett carrot
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Pro-find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know as treasure hunters we all are looking at this storm as an opportunity, but we all might want to step back for just a moment and think about how this is a life changing event for the residents of the affected areas.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my boat 6 hours south after taking 2 days off work and leaving at 1am so I could ferry some residents to Sanibel. I appreciate your post but some of us not only think about others, but we also do something about it.

Back to the topic at hand. Did anyone look? Anyone score any gold?!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked....most beaches had all the renourishment sand pulled down and distributed mid beach and in the trough. Apparently there was a small window of good hunting directly after the storm, but it filled and sanded in the next day. I spent 4 days looking, and only found 1 tack
20221008_064221.jpg

There wasn't even very many shells. All renourishment cuts.....they looked good but it was all trucked in sand that was cut. I found the typical can slaw at the best low tide hunts....all pulled down low. Some beaches were absolutely quiet with very few targets at all. What I thought might be a bone handle related to the wrecks, turned out to be vintage bakelite, and not ancient bone. I hit most known sites and logged many many walking and swinging miles....averaged at least 6-8 miles a day for 3 days, and another 3-4 miles on the last day before coming home. I talked to many other detectorists and all had nothing to show at all....not even any modern jewelry. I still had a fantastic trip and had a blast with the family 👪.
20221007_065030.jpg

There was a nice cut at the colored beach, and it looked the best. At least that sand is pumped in from the sand trap at the ft. Pierce inlet, and is then allowed to naturally flow south to colored beach. There were several hunters to the south, and one showed off a piece of what he said was a dagger fitting ?? I can not say if it was period related or not ??

20221009_155645.jpg

No gold, no silver, ill try again after the next big nor-easter.....if it happens. I did catch a glimpse of good sand here and there at the base of a dune that hadn't been renourished last year....it was not in a known treasure spot, but it was the best chance at older sand so I walked all the way into a place with no beach access to get to it. Here Is the color sand I was looking for !!
20221007_102930.jpg
you can see the renourishment sand in a light layer over this great looking old beach, but nothing was to be had there. My calfs are still burning from the long hunts....determination will pay off one day...I hope !!

One more thing.....ya always here about black sand. There was black sand everywhere, and this renourishment sand always gives big black sand pockets in the dips and lows....if its renourishment sand the black patches don't hold much but can slaw....I still checked it all in hopes of a heavy gold fresh drop....nothing !! The orange old sand is better if it ever gets exposed again !!

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart knows his stuff and places to check. If it was to be found I'd put my $ on him.

The powers that be usually close all of the public beach accesses after major storms to mitigate injuries and protect homes.

All the public access parks in Vero were closed immediately after Ian for two(?) days. County park employees were manning closed gates with deputies checking as well. I think Ambersands Park and Treasure Shores (the two northernmost parks) were the first to open.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread