What's new

ID Bullets

IronSpike

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend found these bullets within an area of abt. 300 sq ft. To me they look like 1860's era bullets. Any input on bullet ID is appreciated. Could the high number of bullets found (more to be dug) indicate a battle/skirmish site?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 040.webp
    Picture 040.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Picture 041.webp
    Picture 041.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 238
Look like relatively modern Keith-style hollow-base semi-wadcutters (pistol target bullets). 1950 to present. I'd go even further and say 185 gr .45 mould# 45-185-SWC-BB

But I could be wrong.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Charlie P. :thumbsup:

I agree the bullets looks just like Keith-style bullets. These are 58 caliber and weighs 0.8 oz.

Rather than skirmish maybe a practise/shooting area.
 
Upvote 0
I'm having a hard time finding a link with a pic of a 58 caliber keith-style bullet. Does that mean these aren't keith-style bullet?

Are these black powder bullets?
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
I'm having a hard time finding a link with a pic of a 58 caliber keith-style bullet. Does that mean these aren't keith-style bullet?

Are these black powder bullets?

I agree with the prior post these are not Cw bullets, I do belive they are modern although I unsure of what caliber, I have bought bullets that look simaliar to these "non-fired" for my muzzle loader. Sorry.

cw
 
Upvote 0
Thanks cwdigger. I posted in order to learn (no problem if modern bullets) just couldn't find pics like them in 58 caliber.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Thanks cwdigger. I posted in order to learn (no problem if modern bullets) just couldn't find pics like them in 58 caliber.

:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
I'm having a hard time finding a link with a pic of a 58 caliber keith-style bullet. Does that mean these aren't keith-style bullet?

Are these black powder bullets?

Check Lyman bullet # 575494 (mould #2654622). It's a hollow base 315 gr bullet used for target shooting in .58 caliber rifled muskets.

566484.JPG
 
Upvote 0
What makes a "Keith" style bullet is the outside shape, IE: semi-wadcutter design. Most keith bullets for modern firearms do not have a hollow base. I'd say these are late 1800s or early 1900s, when there was still some original black powder guns in use, probably flattened on impact. There seems to be two types of bullets on looking closer, some round nose and a few may have actually had the "Keith" configuration and may be from the late 1940s or 1950s when Elmer Keith was actually involved in developing the bullet style. Incidentally, he first used his flat nose semi-wadcuttr bullets in the .44 Special Revolver that was hopped up to almost .44 Magnum velocities. In the 1950s he collaborated with Smith & Wesson to develope the .44 Magnum Revolver that is still one of the most popular handgun hunting rounds. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
What makes a "Keith" style bullet is the outside shape, IE: semi-wadcutter design. Most keith bullets for modern firearms do not have a hollow base. I'd say these are late 1800s or early 1900s, when there was still some original black powder guns in use, probably flattened on impact. There seems to be two types of bullets on looking closer, some round nose and a few may have actually had the "Keith" configuration and may be from the late 1940s or 1950s when Elmer Keith was actually involved in developing the bullet style. Incidentally, he first used his flat nose semi-wadcuttr bullets in the .44 Special Revolver that was hopped up to almost .44 Magnum velocities. In the 1950s he collaborated with Smith & Wesson to develope the .44 Magnum Revolver that is still one of the most popular handgun hunting rounds. Monty

Thanks Monty very interesting :icon_study: You might be right that there is one stray bullet in the pic. That one also appear different in patina. My friend said he also found some smaller caliber bullets. Once he finally gets on Tnet he'll post those :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bullet
Replies
5
Views
836

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom