What's new

ID Help - dumbbell shaped relics - Fur Trade and Mission Era Site

RockChuck

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Anyone have ideas as to what these small dumbbell shaped objects are (surrounding the bell) made from brass or copper. They were found on an old Indian Village site containing both Fur Trade and Mission Era relics.

498.jpg

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
 
What size are they?
Links of a Fob-type chain , come to mind :dontknow:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Treasurenet, by the way.
Kia ora, Hello from me in New Zealand :headbang:
We/I ::) need more information.

The Right Hand and Top objects look like they might be made of Lead or pewter.

Are they each, heavier than the brass looking object, on the left in your pic?
Mike
 
Upvote 0
The two dumbbell-shaped pieces look like small pestles.
 
Upvote 0
Those are very similiar to the pieces that are being found in mission period sites in Calif. that have become quite a mystery.Tom in Ca on here would like to see them I sure.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you folks for the comments.

Tom in CA - Your discussion about CA Mission sites got me to thinking of Phoenix Buttons. Perhaps you know something on the subject of Phoenix buttons? David
 
Upvote 0
RockChuck said:
Thank you folks for the comments.

Tom in CA - Your discussion about CA Mission sites got me to thinking of Phoenix Buttons. Perhaps you know something on the subject of Phoenix buttons? David


Yes,Tom is the "man",of P. Buttons,contact him,he is very knowledgeable and would be interested in your new finds :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
To me they look like some part of a scale system(Balancing weights) but thats just a guess.
 
Upvote 0
Bell Clapper - Glad to see someone also make this suggestion. I had considered the same, but was uncertain - hence I came to Treasurenet. Some very knowledgable folks on this site. David
 
Upvote 0
RockChuck said:
Bell Clapper - Glad to see someone also make this suggestion. I had considered the same, but was uncertain - hence I came to Treasurenet. Some very knowledgable folks on this site. David

That has been considered,but due to the large numbers that are found and never a clapperless bell,it is beleived to not serve that purpose :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Why cant I see the picture?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch:

I can't see anything either....But do they look like this :P

SS
 

Attachments

  • 1328008244IMGP2596.webp
    1328008244IMGP2596.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
SS, is that a petrified " Milk Bone?"
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom