• IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 16
Solution
Welcome to Tnet.

I don’t know what that is, but it’s not Moldavite. The impact location from which Moldavite originated (the Nördlinger Ries Crater in southern Germany) produced tektite glass with a unique green colouration due to trace amounts of iron. It ranges from olive green to bottle green, sometimes with a yellowish or brownish tinge but, although it can be quite dark, is never black.

You didn’t say where you found this but note also that the strewn field for Moldavite covers parts of Germany, Austria and (principally) the Czech Republic with very occasional pieces being found as far away as Scandinavia. There are other tektite types which are black, but these are principally Australites, Indochinites and Philippinites...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

I don’t know what that is, but it’s not Moldavite. The impact location from which Moldavite originated (the Nördlinger Ries Crater in southern Germany) produced tektite glass with a unique green colouration due to trace amounts of iron. It ranges from olive green to bottle green, sometimes with a yellowish or brownish tinge but, although it can be quite dark, is never black.

You didn’t say where you found this but note also that the strewn field for Moldavite covers parts of Germany, Austria and (principally) the Czech Republic with very occasional pieces being found as far away as Scandinavia. There are other tektite types which are black, but these are principally Australites, Indochinites and Philippinites associated with the Australasian strewnfield.

From what I see in your pictures, the appearance is not characteristic of a tektite but is consistent with man-made slag glass.

Upvote 2

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

shanks

Greenie
Jan 18, 2024
Welcome to Tnet.

You didn’t say where you found this but note also that the strewn field for Moldavite covers parts of Germany, Austria and (principally) the Czech Republic with very occasional pieces being found as far away as Scandinavia. There are other tektite types which are black, but these are principally Australites, Indochinites and Philippinites associated with the Australasian strewnfield.

From what I see in your pictures, the appearance is not characteristic of a tektite but is consistent with man-made slag glass.
I respect what your sayin but it is green and id rather not say where I got it at the moment. Thanks for your feed back

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Solution

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was slag with some rock pieces that didn’t fully smelt? I’m not an expert at all, I watched some mmbm videos where he is doing some smelting experiments and green slag is very normal

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread