What's new

ID help really neat, and a few other finds

rivernomad44

Full Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2012
Messages
145
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found this today along with the hand full of goodness not sure what it is need help from the experts
 

Attachments

  • 146.webp
    146.webp
    192.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 155.webp
    155.webp
    147.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 157.webp
    157.webp
    177.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 156.webp
    156.webp
    128.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 162.webp
    162.webp
    170.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Upvote 0
(Bottom three photo's) Burin-Graver. Nice find!
 
woulda been a nice drill , nice burin tip as well
 
the drill is actually full
 
sorry bout that, in that case....killer drill :icon_thumright:
 
I believe most "drills" are not drills at all. They are exhausted projectile points. I have seen very few with drill use polish. The graver is a classic style, made from a broken biface knapped on both faces. JMHO
 
Nice drill finds. Thanks for the view of you artifacts.
 
looks like an arrowhead reworked to use in the bow-drill. good going
 
I believe most "drills" are not drills at all. They are exhausted projectile points.

This is true in a lot of "drills". This drill I found from google images, is what I would call a true drill with the "ears" at base. When you see bases such as nomads its pretty obvious that they were from a worn out projectile. It's common knowledge that prehistorics were "frugal" and practical. Drills are pretty interesting lithic tools to study. Though the fact that they had a broad range of uses makes for interesting debates and ideas, but the basic fact about drills is they were used to drill holes or even as punches and in many many various other applications. Also I'm sure there was a lot of firestarting with the bow drill as HotZone said. I've never thought about how widespread the bow drill was in ancient cultures, if some groups used it and some didn't or was it that pretty much all cultures started fire that way. View attachment 637099
 
This is true in a lot of "drills". This drill I found from google images, is what I would call a true drill with the "ears" at base. When you see bases such as nomads its pretty obvious that they were from a worn out projectile. It's common knowledge that prehistorics were "frugal" and practical. Drills are pretty interesting lithic tools to study. Though the fact that they had a broad range of uses makes for interesting debates and ideas, but the basic fact about drills is they were used to drill holes or even as punches and in many many various other applications. Also I'm sure there was a lot of firestarting with the bow drill as HotZone said. I've never thought about how widespread the bow drill was in ancient cultures, if some groups used it and some didn't or was it that pretty much all cultures started fire that way. View attachment 637099
I would call that a hand drill. If it was hafted into a shaft and used with a bow then you have a power drill...oh yah, nice hand drill google!
 
Last edited:
thank you everybody for all the information you have shared with me!! does anybody have any pics with the polished tip, so was the drill mainly used mounted in something or by hand?
 
Who knows, I suspect the handdrill would have several different uses just like some of the blades on my Swiss army knife. I don't think you would go to the trouble of making a true hand drill to use one time. On the other hand an arrow could be made into a drill for one use and still use it to kill small game as an arrow. You would have be frugal if you didn't have access to good stones to make tools.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom