I hope some of you might be able to help me with the identification of this US Military Button. It was found along the Columbia River (near Dalles Oregon) during OSU site excavations under Dr. Cressman in the mid 1950s. The first 2' of the excavation site was bladed off to remove historic period components (The arch. team was not interested in historic). Members of the Oregon Archaeological Society participating in the excavations and were allowed to screen the bladed-off tailings - which contained mostly Fur Trade/Mission Ear relics such as Colonial buttons, Jesuit medals/crosses, Chinese coins, phoenix buttons, trade rings and sheet copper bangles/rolled beads.
Based on the US military history of the Dalles region, I must assume this button is associated with Camp/Fort Dalles. This fort operated during the Indian Wars, between 1856 and 1867 - housing up to eight companies of the 9th Infantry under the command of Colonel George Wright. I'd like to know is if this style of US Military Button was in use during this time period? - perhaps it is not that old? Also, any information about the Heraldry would be welcomed. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Based on the US military history of the Dalles region, I must assume this button is associated with Camp/Fort Dalles. This fort operated during the Indian Wars, between 1856 and 1867 - housing up to eight companies of the 9th Infantry under the command of Colonel George Wright. I'd like to know is if this style of US Military Button was in use during this time period? - perhaps it is not that old? Also, any information about the Heraldry would be welcomed. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.







