OP
OP
D

diadigger

Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I received a reply in (Todays Finds section) telling me that they are "AMMONITES". 300 to 400 million years old. ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diadigger said:
My son found these 2 fossils while we were metal detecting an old home site. They were in the creek bed. I know they have a name, but can't remember what they are called. Anyone know? Thanks!!

(I posted them in Today's Finds, along with our coins)

Hello diadigger, nice finds your son made, we find these
along the OK & TX border.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
D

diadigger

Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks! We are in north Texas. Being from Calif, we don't see this sort of stuff.....only gold nuggets! ;)

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
It looks like Mortoniceras equidistans, Lower Cretaceous. By any chance do you live in Grayson Co., Texas?

Dosamigos

Jul 2, 2007
Nice.
I'm also in the North Texas area and ammonites are abundant where I live. Most dont seem to have near the definition as those pictured. Found one like that, that was flawless. I've placed it on the mantel of my fireplace.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds...I have picked up a few in the Hill Country as well.....Did not find any on the last trip tho.......

LanceHall

Feb 8, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Mortoniceras for sure, but not 100% about equidistans. Equidstans has three equal distant nodes (bumps) across the ribs and I can't really see those unless very weak. The other one with nodes (spikes) near the center maybe called "Drakeoceras". These dang things have went through so many name changes and reassignments it almost takes a degree to ID them properly.

They are just a little more than 100 myo.

I bet they came from the Duck Creek/Fort Worth formation. I have some geo maps digitised here: http://www.geocities.com/lancelhall/fossils/maps.htm

Ammonites and nautiluses diverged at least 400 mya. The obvious differences are the coiling of the shell and the position of the internal blood tube (siphuncle). With some of those Mortoniceras you can actually find the siphuncle preserved as a black tube running around the edge of the fossil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions