ID that Lion?

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this on the beach today on the East coast. I believe it's a button. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm unable to find this type of Lion when looking online so far.

March 4 17 Lion Button.jpg

March 4 17 Lion Button back.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like a brass 1-piece button. If it's a button, your find might be a Livery button. Is it a 1-piece or 2-piece button?

Unfortunately, since modernday clothing-manufacturers like to put fancy-looking metal buttons on expensive jackets and coats, your button might be a modern "Fashion" button. If it's a brass 1-piece button, it's more likely to be a genuinely old button.

For anybody here who doesn't already know:
Livery buttons date from "about" the 1700s on through the present, though they've been out-of-favor for a long time. Most are from the 1800s through early-1900s. They were for the uniforms of the household servants of wealthy people, such as butlers, housemaids, and coachmen. Livery buttons usually showed the "Family Crest" of the wealthy person. I'll include photos of a couple of example of Livery buttons.

I don't think the animal on it is a lion. The tail is much too long, as it the beastie's tongue. It seems to be one of the mythical critters seen on Livery buttons, such as a Griffin... but it's not a Griffin.

Attachments

• button_Livery_bird-standing-on-torse_Heseltine_England.jpg
    button_Livery_bird-standing-on-torse_Heseltine_England.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 46
  • button_livery-button_British-lion-crowned-on-torse__11nc.jpg
    button_livery-button_British-lion-crowned-on-torse__11nc.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is a photo of it cleaned up a bit. I'm not sure what a one piece or two piece button is though. Thanks for the reply!

March 4 17 Button cleaner.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of it cleaned up a bit. I'm not sure what a one piece or two piece button is though. Thanks for the reply!

View attachment 1422703

Well its a 1 piece but I think it breaks the usual rules because the 'Livery Style' design looks post-1900.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread