idaho prospecting newb

AuRenegade

Mar 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All.
I Have Been Lurking The Site For A Couple Weeks Now And I Figure IF I Post Something I Might Get A Few Answers. A Couple Of Weeks AGo A Friend Gave Me 14'' Gold Pan And Told ME How I Can Get Started Practicing. I Have Been PannIng Flatten 7 1/2 Shot Bbs In Multi Purpose Sand From Home Depot With Ease. Now I Want To Move On To Some Gold.I Plan On Joining The Gpaa Soon, And IM Looking Forward To THe Book With The Claims In It. Can Anyone Point Me In The Direction Of Some Color? I Live In Post Falls Idaho. I Have Heard There Is "Flour Gold" In Boise But Thats A Bit Far. Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum AuRenegade. There are several members in Idaho who will likely chime in. I did a google search for Post falls as I have only been as far North in Idaho as Warren.

Mining in Idaho

No need to go to Boise. As you can see by the AU map, there is good gold country not too far south of you. If you haven't begun researching gold history in Kootenai County, I would start there. Good luck and happy hunting!

Check out Northwest Gold Prospectors Association's Facebook page. They also have an old webpage HERE

Unless otherwise noted, the NorthWest Gold Prospectors meet at 7:00PM on the second Wednesday of each month at the Idaho National Guard Armory, located at West 5555 Seltice Way (old Highway 10) between Coeur d'Alene and Post Falls.
Can't get any closer to you than that !!!
Bob

More than just floor gold near Boise buddy.

Thanks For The Tips Gents. Doitlaynstyle That Is SoMe Nice Gold You Have There. Maybr Boise Might Be Worth A Look. I Have Heard That Hayden Creek Has Gold But, Is Covered In Claims And Apparently The Claim Owners Out There Dont Take Too KindlytTo Strangers, Itchy Trigger Fingers I Guess. So Im Gonna Steer ClEar Of That Area For Sure. Murray Is Only A Two Hour Drive. Anyone Know Any Good Creeks Out That Way For A Guy To Take A Shovel?

AuRenegade
Join the NWGPA and you'll discover all kinds of places locally.
May not have to drive 2 hours either :thumbsup:
Bob

Thank YOu. I Am Very Appreciative Of The Pointers. I Will Try Out The Spokane River And See What I Can Come Up With. Its Really Close. Any Thoughts On How The Dams Will Effect GolD? My Phone Sucks For.This Sorry About The Typing. Again Thanks For The Tips Guys. I Will Be JoiniNg A Prospextimg Club Next Month When I Have money To Sign Up. I Will Try My Hand At Building my Own Sluice Over Spring Break. Thanks.

the ground rule i use for where to prospect is in mountainous areas in ranges where gold is found

in your case idaho is on the rocky mountains the same chain that puts gold in California and alaska all you can do is poke around some mountain streams you come by in your area

as far as in the creek you might want to invest in a classifier

alluvial gold deposits(gold deposited by moving water) is found in river gravels. it is very possible to pan without a classifier just annoying time consuming and frustrating for me

on the note of the river gravels its very simple as far as that goes. gold prospecting is NOT rocket science, but it's easy to mess up

for a start look for a deposit of gravel with the largest heaviest rocks you can find the reason being is gold is much denser that any other material in the typical stream. so larger amounts of gold will settle with larger rocks and heavier minerals

hope i was helpful an this wasn't too long

good luck, welcome btw

Join the club so that you can learn how NOT to prospect on someone's claim.
That should be your first lesson before you even dip a pan. You really can't run around willy-nilly. Learn so you don't get burned.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back