Ideas for seperating/removing black sand inside fluid bed sluice

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
Am curious if anyone has tried incorporating magnets in or on the sides of a fluid bed trap, so as to eliminate as much magnetic sands as possible during running material. Any ideas? I was thinking of possibly affixing powerful neodymium magnets at the top of the trap to catch sand as it falls in. This is my sluice

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130404_114002.png
    ForumRunner_20130404_114002.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 726
  • ForumRunner_20130404_114030.png
    ForumRunner_20130404_114030.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 411
  • ForumRunner_20130404_114124.png
    ForumRunner_20130404_114124.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 348
try putting the magnets at the head of your sluice to trap them before it gets to your riffels. trouble is, is that someone (dredge/sluice tender) is going tobe required to constantly watch the magnets and to clean them off when they get loaded with the magnetics! and if you try this, use two seperate sets of magnetic strips across the sluice , one to keep getting the mags while your cleaning the other.and pu them in somesort of a plastic tube for quick cleaning. there is a device similar to what your wanting, but i cant remember its name.

try putting the magnets at the head of your sluice to trap them before it gets to your riffels. trouble is, is that someone (dredge/sluice tender) is going tobe required to constantly watch the magnets and to clean them off when they get loaded with the magnetics! and if you try this, use two seperate sets of magnetic strips across the sluice , one to keep getting the mags while your cleaning the other.and pu them in somesort of a plastic tube for quick cleaning. there is a device similar to what your wanting, but i cant remember its name.

I believe you are referring to the "Heavy Hitter" Sluice Magnet sluice magnet Home Page

Looks like a good idea. I have lots of black magnetic sands tons of fine stuff up to quarter inch cubes. Anything to get rid of these before they get to the trap would help I like the idea of putting the magnet at the top of the sluice but wouldn't it be a bit soon? Especially if the material hasn't properly broken up? My whole point of making this was to be able to shovel material at larger volume than the sluice was designed for.

P.s. goodguy : I added the sides as you recommended, but haven't added the lowered riffle inside the trap. From what I saw and what you wrote (different thread) I believe you mean a flat bar across the trap just below the screen? And about an inch wide? Is this to stop circulation inside?

Last edited:
P.s. goodguy : I added the sides as you recommended, but haven't added the lowered riffle inside the trap. From what I saw and what you wrote (different thread) I believe you mean a flat bar across the trap just below the screen? And about an inch wide? Is this to stop circulation inside?

Here are a couple of examples of the diverter baffle...... it's purpose is to divert the incoming material underneath the waters surface so that fine and flour gold cannot just surf straight out of the trap. It gets dunked first and will more easily drop out of suspension.
diverter.jpgbaffle.jpg

The other suggestion was to cut a 1/2" discharge slot all the way across the end of the fluid bed trap just under the screen.

What you have now is a box, and the water entering the tubes in the trap can only exit straight up through the screen opening at the top of the trap, creating a pushing up of water.

What you need is an overflow port that is lower than the screen, located at the exit end of the trap. That way the surface pressure in the trap will be lower than the water coming off the end of the sluice and that combined with the diverter baffle will make it much easier for the fine and flour gold to drop out of suspension and down into the trap.

* I don't recall suggesting adding sides :icon_scratch: but they look good :icon_thumleft:
Your trap looks great also, just needs the tweaking I suggested to insure optimum performance.

GG~

Last edited:
So you suggest I drill holes at the far end below the top of the sluice surface level? That sounds crazy. To lower the pushing up effect? That was the whole.point the screen is a dome shape, higher than the middle of the flow

Listen to Goodyguy. He knows what he is talking about. Your car has an intake system and an exhaust as well

Heard of a guy that made an electro magnet by wrapping copper wire around a piece of iron flat strap and mounted it to his shaker table. He installed a rheostat switch in the circuit for the magnet so he could adjust its magnetism. When he ran his concentrates he would adjust the magnet so that it had enough pull to "lighten" the black sand so that it would wash over with the liter material leaving the gold behind. This was on a shaker table of course and a good power source in the field may be a problem but it may be worth looking into.

So you suggest I drill holes at the far end below the top of the sluice surface level? That sounds crazy. To lower the pushing up effect? That was the whole.point the screen is a dome shape, higher than the middle of the flow

No...... What I am suggesting is that you cut 1/2" off the top of the end wall of the trap all the way across the end to create a discharge slot to keep the water from pushing up into the screen. (just to be clear, I'm not talking about the end nearest the sluice I'm talking about the end farthest away from the sluice) Just like the discharge port at the end of the Bazooka Gold Trap

The reason why, is because the way it is now the force of the water coming off the end of the sluice hits the pushing up water coming up out of the trap.
That upward pressure combined with the forward flow from the sluice prevents most of the fine and flour gold from having a chance to drop out of suspension and sink down into the trap.

GG~

Ah, ok I got ya. You are very forthcoming with your knowledge and I thank you.
What did you think about the magnet stuck to the screen idea for catching black sand before getting trapped? Have lots of it to deal with.

Ah, ok I got ya. You are very forthcoming with your knowledge and I thank you.
What did you think about the magnet stuck to the screen idea for catching black sand before getting trapped? Have lots of it to deal with.

As RussAU stated......It needs to be placed at the front end of the sluice and cleaned regularly. If you are making them yourself it wouldn't hurt to use more than one.

Like one at the front of the sluice and one at the end of the sluice before the trap. When you clean them clean them into a bucket and save for later inspection in case some gold happens to get trapped between some of the magnetic particles.

Did you go to the website to see the sluice magnet? If not, click here: http://www.sluicemagnet.net/

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back